Privatising the Police

wasnt that your idol maggie who shut our coalfields:loopy: yes your right the days of cheap energy was also down to her she sold out to foreign companies who soon put the price up :hihi::hihi::hihi:.god theres one born every minute

And your solution to the problem of expensive energy is what?

I'm betting you have no realistic idea what to do but it doesn't stop you whining.

Definitely not reading through 6 pages on this subject. I can see it now, "Hello, my name is Richard. Please state the nature of your 999 emergency." Spoken in a barely comprehensible Indian accent. It works for Virgin Media, so why not the police? When I say "it works", that's obviously for a given value of "works", usually extremely low to non-existent. This will NOT end well - are you listening Dave and Nick?

The end user paid less before privatisation. The real cost of electricity, for example, has risen by a quarter since 1970. At 2009 prices energy cost per person in 1970 was £5.91/week. In 2009 it was £9.27/week. The poorest 10% now spend on average almost 10% of their income on fuel, light and power. 5.5 million household face fuel poverty. Average bills have doubled since 2002. Tellingly Ofgem ordered the bix six energy firms to reduce their prices just two weeks ago, for the first time seriously threatening imposing price controls on the industry

Such a healthy picture Jim ;)

Your argument probably won't look so healthy if you compare wholesale prices of energy over the same period. You seem to be suggesting wholesale prices haven't gone up but retail prices have and foreign capitalists have pocketed the difference.

The end user paid less before privatisation. The real cost of electricity, for example, has risen by a quarter since 1970. At 2009 prices energy cost per person in 1970 was £5.91/week. In 2009 it was £9.27/week. The poorest 10% now spend on average almost 10% of their income on fuel, light and power. 5.5 million household face fuel poverty. Average bills have doubled since 2002. Tellingly Ofgem ordered the bix six energy firms to reduce their prices just two weeks ago, for the first time seriously threatening imposing price controls on the industry

Such a healthy picture Jim ;)

Unfortunately your case/rant doesn't appear to be supported by facts

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20060715135302/dti.gov.uk/files/file20324.pdf

Let me quote from a Labour government:

Electricity prices in 2003 for both domestic and industrial customers were at their lowest level in real terms since 1970. There have been increases in prices to both the industrial and domestic sector since 2003, although real domestic and industrial prices in 2004 are still below prices seen over the period 1970 to 2001.

So you were wrong up to 2004. And let's not forget your taxes have gone down as well so it's a double win from privatisation. Wholesale prices have gone up sharply since 2005/06 but a lot of that has been due to upgrades required by loony green anti global warming legislation and the laws of supply and demand because we have to buy gas from abroad. If OFGEM are getting tough it's because the government have told them to. Labour never bothered because it was easier to feed you the line it was all a capitalist plot. You fell for it.

If people are in fuel popverty it's not because fuel prices have gone up it's because wages have gone down.

Your argument probably won't look so healthy if you compare wholesale prices of energy over the same period. You seem to be suggesting wholesale prices haven't gone up but retail prices have and foreign capitalists have pocketed the difference.

The costs of hedging against wholesale market fluctuations get passed directly to the end customers by the energy suppliers. In a state-run energy system the state can apply some cushioning of this effect. Stable energy prices are good for domestic and industrial consumers and good for the economy.

Unfortunately your case/rant doesn't appear to be supported by facts

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20060715135302/dti.gov.uk/files/file20324.pdf

Let me quote from a Labour government:

Electricity prices in 2003 for both domestic and industrial customers were at their lowest level in real terms since 1970. There have been increases in prices to both the industrial and domestic sector since 2003, although real domestic and industrial prices in 2004 are still below prices seen over the period 1970 to 2001.

So you were wrong up to 2004. And let's not forget your taxes have gone down as well so it's a double win from privatisation. Wholesale prices have gone up sharply since 2005/06 but a lot of that has been due to upgrades required by loony green anti global warming legislation and the laws of supply and demand because we have to buy gas from abroad. If OFGEM are getting tough it's because the government have told them to. Labour never bothered because it was easier to feed you the line it was all a capitalist plot. You fell for it.

If people are in fuel popverty it's not because fuel prices have gone up it's because wages have gone down.

My figures came directly from a DECC publication ;)

The costs of hedging against wholesale market fluctuations get passed directly to the end customers by the energy suppliers. In a state-run energy system the state can apply some cushioning of this effect. Stable energy prices are good for domestic and industrial consumers and good for the economy.

But the problem with anything state run is it's wasteful, not fit for purpose and ends up being more expensive which is why we had privatisation in the first place.

But the problem with anything state run is it's wasteful, not fit for purpose and ends up being more expensive which is why we had privatisation in the first place.

My my your sledgehammer is working overtime today isn't it? Perhaps by replying to every post ever made, you think we people will get fed-up of you and move away from the forum? Guess what, it's not happening.

Archived