Are hgv's exempt

Driving through one of the many motorway network road works near Luton yesterday in the average speed check zones my speedo was reading 54mph sat nav 50 mph.What got me was the amount of hgv's that went flying past me obviously doing more than 50mph.My question is(i know they are limited to 56 mph)are they allowed to travel in excess of the 50mph in these zones because they are only 6mph over the limit)...

Driving through one of the many motorway network road works near Luton yesterday in the average speed check zones my speedo was reading 54mph sat nav 50 mph.What got me was the amount of hgv's that went flying past me obviously doing more than 50mph.My question is(i know they are limited to 56 mph)are they allowed to travel in excess of the 50mph in these zones because they are only 6mph over the limit)...

Short answer, NO ! but the drivers know where the speed cameras are and the average speed detectors and can adjust speed accordingly to avoid detection.

Short answer, NO ! but the drivers know where the speed cameras are and the average speed detectors and can adjust speed accordingly to avoid detection.

yes but surely in the average speed check zone the speed is calculated between 2 given points so therefore it is timed between those points and not just taking your speed as you go past the radar.Otherwise you could for eg do 70 mph then slow down to 46 when you pass the radar..thought these checkers were based on time between two points

No, they are not, some just can't be bothered to slow down 2 or 3 MPH, also HGVs can only do 40MPH on single carriageways by law but some even sit on the limiter at 56MPH but then again, car drivers get infuriated and impatient at having to sit behind a lorry going so slow when a car could be doing 60MPH

No, they are not, some just can't be bothered to slow down 2 or 3 MPH, also HGVs can only do 40MPH on single carriageways by law but some even sit on the limiter at 56MPH but then again, car drivers get infuriated and impatient at having to sit behind a lorry going so slow when a car could be doing 60MPH

maybe the government should do something to enforce this...i have also experienced of late the amount of truckers just pulling out without any indication..Very dangerous manouver nearly caused about 3 accidents yesterday...

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

maybe the government should do something to enforce this...

they do, it's the police with a speed radar gun or police car

have also experienced of late the amount of truckers just pulling out without any indication..Very dangerous manouver nearly caused about 3 accidents yesterday...

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Unfortunatley, us HGV drivers are like bus drivers, there's a minority that give the rest a bad name

yes but surely in the average speed check zone the speed is calculated between 2 given points so therefore it is timed between those points and not just taking your speed as you go past the radar.Otherwise you could for eg do 70 mph then slow down to 46 when you pass the radar..thought these checkers were based on time between two points

The average speed cameras generally calculate the average speed between a series of cameras otherwise it would not be an average, Hgv drivers know to slow down to 50 as they approach the camera then speed up knowing that the resultant average over a series of cameras will indeed be averaged out at 50. As most Hgv's are governed to 56 - 58 mph the potential to suddenly increase speed is out of the question when laden. Your point of Hgv's pulling out without indicating is a very small minority of drivers I can assure you. Most Hgv drivers take pride in their driving and cherish their licences as it is their ticket to work, no licence or one heavilly stamped with points = no job ;)

The average speed cameras generally calculate the average speed between a series of cameras otherwise it would not be an average, Hgv drivers know to slow down to 50 as they approach the camera then speed up knowing that the resultant average over a series of cameras will indeed be averaged out at 50. As most Hgv's are governed to 56 - 58 mph the potential to suddenly increase speed is out of the question when laden. Your point of Hgv's pulling out without indicating is a very small minority of drivers I can assure you. Most Hgv drivers take pride in their driving and cherish their licences as it is their ticket to work, no licence or one heavilly stamped with points = no job ;)

well put..the incidents that occured yesterday were with lorries with overseas plates on...:mad::mad::mad:

Most Hgv drivers take pride in their driving and cherish their licences as it is their ticket to work, no licence or one heavilly stamped with points = no job ;)
Hammer-nail-head:nod

Well, that's my way of thinking anyway

Archived