Burngreave or Beirut?

I recently planned to visit Burngreave Cemetery where some of my relatives are buried. The friends I was staying with in Sheffield expressed horror at the idea, saying that the Burngreave area is almost a "no go" area these days and (jokingly) compared it to Beirut. I never did get to visit the cemetery, but it left me wondering: is the area really that bad?

• 1 month later...

i have lived in burngreave for 25 years + since the houses behind the vestry were built , we have moved but still in burngreave

it did go through a very bad time a while a go but now it is like alice in wonderland , a lot quieter

the thing is , people that don't live there , find it easy to bad mouth it ...................

i think people that are only going on how they think is ....... should keep their comments to them selves .if they don't know for deffinate......, as this is what gives an area an in correct status , and people get the wrong idea

no area is perfect these days .....but there is a lot worse than burngreave !!!!!

hope you visit soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi tiffy

I've a leaflet from the Friends of Burngreave Cemetery and Chapel which mentions a website (non functional) and an email address which I will PM to you.

The chapel had an open afternoon recently, as part of the Sheffield Environment Weeks - it was very interesting and informative. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that John Booth (of Brush House - the old Firth Park school building on Barnsley Road) was reburied there, before Brush House was passed to the city council.

Here's an extract from the leaflet:

'Opened in 1860, the Cemetery is 276 acres of old quarried and mined land laid out with a grid of paths and planted large variety of trees and shrubs.

The chapels (one consecrated and one for 'dissenters') are joined with a carriage arch and 120-foot bell tower. It was designed by Sir William Flockton. It has not been used for services since the late 1980s and is somewhat neglected.

Over 178,000 people are buried here and represent people from all over the world who came to Sheffield to work, mainly in the steel-making and mining industries.

The cemetery, chapel building and two lodge buildings are all Grade II listed and listed in the English Heritage register of historic parks and gardens'

Now, the good news is that the chapel is open every Sunday between 11am and 3pm - not for services, but for a visit and friendly chat. Feel free to pop along. Just tell them I sent you ;)

• 8 years later...

Only just seen this older thread. Some 15 or so years ago I heard that the council had a plan to remove the kerbstones around graves just leaving the headstones in order to make mechanical grass cutting easier. I have relations burried there and some of the names are around the kerbstones as well as on the headstone.. A late friend assured me that no such thing had been done, but that was some years ago and I am wondering if it went ahead later on. Given that many Sheffielders live around the world and that many rarely get back ( Australia etc.) this action would upset and shock and is only possible if the council think they can get away with it due to the perceived lack of attendance. If they have gone ahead with it, then it's a shamefull reflection on modern attitudes; a little like those who sell the medals of family members killed in wars, very sad to me.

My wifes parents are buried there and one day we called to tidy round the grave and put fresh flowers on it.

As we were leaving at the Coupe Rd. exit.a police car blocked us in and one of them jumped out and told me to wind down the window in a very aggressive manner,he then accused us of burying a stash of drugs in the soil of the grave and became really angry when we laughed at him and offered to take him to the grave.

He then asked if my wife was a prostitute and were we "doing business there" whereupon i dived out of the car and his colleague apologised whilst telling him in no uncertain manner to get back in the car,thereby saving me from a court appearance and a clever young constable a career ending beating.

Apart from that we have visited regularly for over 25 years and not a moments bother.

Archived