Burngreave or Beirut?

Only just seen this older thread. Some 15 or so years ago I heard that the council had a plan to remove the kerbstones around graves just leaving the headstones in order to make mechanical grass cutting easier. I have relations burried there and some of the names are around the kerbstones as well as on the headstone.. A late friend assured me that no such thing had been done, but that was some years ago and I am wondering if it went ahead later on. Given that many Sheffielders live around the world and that many rarely get back ( Australia etc.) this action would upset and shock and is only possible if the council think they can get away with it due to the perceived lack of attendance. If they have gone ahead with it, then it's a shamefull reflection on modern attitudes; a little like those who sell the medals of family members killed in wars, very sad to me.

http://www.friendsofburngreavecemetery.btck.co.uk

Archived