Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

Heroin was prescribed in the fifties in the UK. It was controlled, regulated, legal. Acquisitive crime levels were lower. The policies you defend create the rampant criminality addicts carry out to buy drugs on the black market.

People are daft now though, legalising will unleash mayhem, no?!

Were you a child of the 40s and 50s? I was. I spent my early years in Parson Cross. People smoked a lot, even kids sneaked a drag or two and people drank, some getting ***** faced on Saturday nights

60 years later, we know more about cigarettes and alcohol, use of both is down, access to children is reduced, drink driving is down, and so on.

All these are the result of tighter regulation.

Currently, illegal drugs are completely unregulated. How is that sensible?

People are daft now though, legalising will unleash mayhem, no?!

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

In the words of a 1965 New York study by Dr Richard Brotman: "Medical knowledge has long since laid to rest the myth that opiates observably harm the body." Peanut butter, cream and sugar, for example, are all far more likely to damage the health of their users.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/jun/14/drugsandalcohol.socialsciences

The Swiss, for example, in 1997 reported on a three-year experiment in which they had prescribed heroin to 1,146 addicts in 18 locations. They found:

"Individual health and social circumstances improved drastically ...

The improvements in physical health which occurred during treatment with heroin proved to be stable over the course of one and a half years and in some cases continued to increase (in physical terms, this relates especially to general and nutritional status and injection- related skin diseases) ... In the psychiatric area, depressive states in particular continued to regress, as well as anxiety states and delusional disorders ... The mortality of untreated patients is markedly higher."

They also reported dramatic improvements in the social stability of the addicts, including a steep fall in crime.

There are equally impressive results from similar projects in Holland and Luxembourg and Naples and, also, in Britain.

In Liverpool, during the early 1990s, Dr John Marks used a special Home Office licence to prescribe heroin to addicts. Police reported a 96% reduction in acquisitive crime among a group of addict patients.

Deaths from locally acquired HIV infection and drug-related overdoses fell to zero. But, under intense pressure from the government, the project was closed down. In its 10 years' work, not one of its patients had died. In the first two years after it was closed, 41 died.

Heroin was prescribed in the fifties in the UK. It was controlled, regulated, legal. Acquisitive crime levels were lower. The policies you defend create the rampant criminality addicts carry out to buy drugs on the black market.

And importantly, the number of addicts was very small compared to today.

Even the cops recognise the madness of all this:

In December 1999, the chief constable of Cleveland police, Barry Shaw, produced a progress report on the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act, which marked the final arrival of US drugs prohibition in this country:

"There is overwhelming evidence to show that the prohibition-based policy in this country since 1971 has not been effective in controlling the availability or use of proscribed drugs. If there is indeed a war against drugs, it is not being won ... Illegal drugs are freely available, their price is dropping and their use is growing.

It seems fair to say that violation of the law is endemic, and the problem seems to be getting worse despite our best efforts."

Archived