Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

I hope not. In spite of the "cut and thrust of debate" and a certain amount of ribbing (which I've tried not to indulge in) there's a really serious point here.

If we as a country and a continent want to deal with the problems caused by drugs, particularly addiction - then we must recognise that a great number of those problems arise because of the illegality of the drug in question.

The dangers posed by the substance themselves are actually quite easy to cope with if you approach the problem from a medical standpoint rather than a criminal one.

There's literally billions of pounds that could be reclaimed from the drug economy - easy money for criminals and organised crime who are strong supporters of prohibition, as it keeps the prices up and stops dissatisfied customers from kicking up a fuss with trading standards.

No-one is maintaining that the legalisation of drugs will be without problems and challenges, not least how to even begin debating it.

At the moment it is political and career suicide to mention legalisation whilst in office. This is the result of 40 or 50 years of misinformation - legalising drugs is easy, undoing nearly a century of political lies is much more difficult.

One of the commentators I quoted above makes the point that the USA drives the war on drugs through the UN. In the USA the situation is much, much worse - in the USA the problem is dealt with in a para-military fashion.

Where the authorities allow drug use, the number of drug users go down, crime goes down, drug deaths go down, and the number of families destroyed by simple and largely youthful curiosity and exuberance goes down.

Why should the government have the right to destroy a person's life for doing nothing more heinous than changing their own state of mind?

I know what you mean by ribbing, but a little teasing and comments spoken in jest is not quite the same as insult which is what i have just experienced. If i had felt that Chris would have been hurt by my remark i would have not said it,as that was spoken in jest. Sometimes it is just a bit of lighthearted release from what is a really a serious and depressing subject.

IT is obvious that you care very deeply,about the drugs issue,(as do other posters)and want to see the misery and devastation they can cause to the vulerable, end for good. Though i realise that it is naive to expect that to happen.

I agree with much of what you suggest,because after all these years the goverment's in power have not acchieved success in the methods they have implemented.

I have yet to be convinced about legalization though.I would need to hear more debating + + + to be certain.

"Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless, I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me?"

But what about you? what if you become dependent? What as education got to do with it.You can be highly academic and still mess up.

If you have a family or are planning to,would you be happy for your children to take heroin?

I'm sorry to be so personal,but after what you have just disclosed i am unable to resist it.

But what about you? what if you become dependent? What as education got to do with it.You can be highly academic and still mess up.

If you have a family or are planning to,would you be happy for your children to take heroin?

I'm sorry to be so personal,but after what you have just disclosed i am unable to resist it.

Did you not notice the quote marks? Run what hes put through google and see where its from

Did you not notice the quote marks? Run what hes put through google and see where its from

I really will have to stop posting now on here.Its doing my head in.

And i am drug free! but what i have learned on here is enough to make me want to see my GP for a diasepam prescription.:(

So you want to take drugs?!

No i wasn't serious. I did take diazepam for a short period after my husband died,but i was conscious that i might be becoming dependent on them.I would not want to be dependent on any such drug of that nature if i could avoid it.

I'm perfectly fine now,and am shortly going to start doing a little daily meditation.Have you seen the meditation thread?

It would appear that it has great benifits,which may be of help to those dependent on drugs.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=944469

http://www.ananda.org/meditation/learn/technique.html

Archived