Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

No i wasn't serious. I did take diazepam for a short period after my husband died,but i was conscious that i might be becoming dependent on them.I would not want to be dependent on any such drug of that nature if i could avoid it.

I'm perfectly fine now,and am shortly going to start doing a little daily meditation.Have you seen the meditation thread?

It would appear that it has great benifits,which may be of help to those dependent on drugs.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=944469

http://www.ananda.org/meditation/learn/technique.html

I haven't got time to meditate. It gets in the way of my crystal meth time. (joke. I don't take crystal meth!)

I haven't got time to meditate. It gets in the way of my crystal meth time. (joke. I don't take crystal meth!)

Well i keep putting it off,but i'm determined to give it a try.

Anyone can find time for only 15 minutes a day.

IT is obvious that you care very deeply,about the drugs issue,(as do other posters)and want to see the misery and devastation they can cause to the vulerable, end for good. Though i realise that it is naive to expect that to happen.

That's true - there are no utopias on offer here. But we can radically reduce the harm and misery caused. At the moment the UN charter effectively prohibits countries from innovating their own drug policies, but Switzerland, Portugal and some other European countries have found decriminalisation loopholes.

The problem with decriminalisation is that it still leaves supply in the hands of criminals - it's a half way house. You get some of benefits of legalisation (lower use, less property crime, fewer casualties) but it's still easy money for the cartels.

I agree with much of what you suggest,because after all these years the goverment's in power have not acchieved success in the methods they have implemented.

I have yet to be convinced about legalization though.I would need to hear more debating + + + to be certain.

I think the debate needs to be moved from forums and messageboards and into the house of commons, via a royal commission. At the very least.

All we can do on messageboards like these is really to convince people that the current prohibition policy actually makes the problems of drug use much worse and that a debate on the future of drug policy is urgently necessary.

I'm grateful to you for taking the time to read my posts. I hope I can convince one person that blanket prohibition of drugs is not any kind of answer to drug abuse problems. It's a medical issue, not a policing issue.

Those same "intelligence" services that claimed Iraq could deploy chemical weapons in 45 minutes?

So, no change then, lets stick with a system that has been proven to be a complete unmittigated disaster!

That's forward thinkin' for ya!

There's talk in California of legalizing cannabis in addtion to an exisiting program that allows the weed to be given for medicinal purposes.

Legalizing it for wholesale distribution wont work, an exercise in futility since no matter what the governement of California does it's still illegal under Federal law and that I assure you will never change.

Still in the end it amounts to nothing more than talk since even in liberal California it would be political suicide for any politician even one who leans left and liberal to even discuss it.

Wouldn't make sense either since there is a very active anti-smoking program to curb tobacco use which has achieved some success over the past two decades.

It's up to individual nations to establish their own drug policies. What might seem reasonable in Sheffield wouldn't stand a chance in Beijing or Kulala Lumpur and no liberalization of the laws would stand a chance in any Islamic country either. Sneaking a jioint could well cost one their life in such communities.

As for America it is still very much a country orientated towards Christian belief, even if Christianity is fast disappearing in Europe and decriminalization wouldnt stand a chance nationally.

As for the Mexican drug wars it's not completey unreasonable to see it as just scumbags killing scumbags. With a bit of luck they might just wipe each other completely out eventiually or weaken themselves enough for the Mexican government to finally finish them off.

Anyway go on talking all you want about "international agreements" but as I've explained above and hope I've made clear it wont happen for the reasons I've stated.

As for the Mexican drug wars it's not completey unreasonable to see it as just scumbags killing scumbags. With a bit of luck they might just wipe each other completely out eventiually or weaken themselves enough for the Mexican government to finally finish them off.

As long as there's massive demand in the USA for what comes over the border from Mexico there'll be drug dealers in Mexico meeting that demand regardless of however many of them get killed by their rivals. Others will soon take their place because the USA imports drugs from Mexico on such a massive scale.

Archived