Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

Anyone who takes this question seriously might want to watch the debate tomorrow night at 7pm (UK Time) - the question of legalisation is being raised more and more often, ever more visibly.

Organised by Transform and conducted through the brilliant Intelligence Squared, the event bumf goes something like this

As long as its not to High!!Brow I will watch it.

It should be pretty accessible with participants like Branson, Brand, Hitchens and Blair (Ian) - they're all accustomed to plain public speaking.

It's clear what 'side' some of the speakers are on, others are less obviously partisan. Should be interesting!

You go on about the drugs problem like it isn't there, as if legalising cannabis would be the start of a none existent problem.

The drug problem is already there. Doing something about it is where the problem lies. The only way to remove criminals from the equation is by making drugs legal.

Just because something is against the law doesn't mean we should all obey. It doesn't work like that.

Tell that to the judge not me. Should get a laugh from the rest of those in the court room :D

The law is supposed to support the general morality of society, not dictate to it how things will be.

But you feel able to suggest what penalties should be applied...

So clearly you think your opinion matters.

I think your opinion is misguided, based on faulty logic and propaganda, hence I'd like to see you re-examine the issue from a point of "should drug X be illegal", answering that it is illegal is circular and is just refusing to look at the issue.

Based on what evidence? You do realise that whenever it's been tried the numbers using the drug fall?

Do you even know if cannabis is addictive?

Wouldn't it be better if it weren't based on ignorance?

What makes you think that I haven't made my MP aware of my feelings?

Maybe legalizing firearms will eliminate the gun runners and reduce crime :D

And there are people who sell guns illegally in the UK so dont kid yourself otherwise on that score.

Unless the firearm is to be used in a crime, then what is the purpose of having a gun runner?

The purpose is to provide guns to criminals and there is a market for illegal weapons in the UK.

A nephew of mine is a member of a county police department and for a time worked on the motorways. He and his partner found illegal guns hidden in the trunks of more than one vehicle they had pulled over. Apparently there is or was a gun running operation in existence which transported firearms between southern England and Scotland.

And there are people who sell guns illegally in the UK so dont kid yourself otherwise on that score.

You know how you ignore points that refute your stupid opinions?

You just did it again.

This thread is becoming nothing more than an outlet for your wild inaccuracies and dishonest claims.

Under one scenario, people would be able to apply for a licence to buy cannabis products once they reach the age of 21, provided they have the approval of a doctor, he said.

The drug would be regulated by a body that ensures the quality and safety of the products before they go on sale.

A rethink of the laws surrounding cannabis and related products was necessary to take cannabis out of the hands of criminals, said Roger Pertwee, professor of neuropharmacology at Aberdeen University.

In the 1970s, Pertwee co-discovered THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.

Speaking ahead of a talk this week at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Pertwee said: "In my view, we don't have an ideal solution yet to deal with recreational cannabis. We should consider licensing and marketing cannabis and cannabis products just as we do alcohol and tobacco.

"At the moment, cannabis is in the hands of criminals, and that's crazy. We're allowed to take alcohol, we're allowed to smoke cigarettes. Cannabis, if it's handled properly, is probably not going to be any more dangerous than that."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/14/cannabis-licence-legalisation-pertwee

If cocaine were to be legalized then only the more affluent would be able to buy it and all your controls and regulations in the world wouldnt stop dealers peddling crack to the poor in the ghettos.

This is garbage.

No criminal enterprise could possibly undercut government-controlled distribution. Cocvaine is only expensive because it's controlled by criminals.

A kilo of coca paste sells for perhaps US$500 and the chemicals to turn into pure cocaine, about $4000. In New York a kilo of pure cocaine goes for $25,000. In Europe $45,000

http://factsanddetails.com/world.php?itemid=1214&catid=54&subcatid=348

Why are you so bothered about a subject you don't know anything about?

Like when you claimed Iranians would be killed for smoking a joint, whereas in reality opium and hashish is commonly smoked in public by Iranians.

You're gnashing your gums about a subject you know very little about beyond your wild fantasies.

Unless the firearm is to be used in a crime, then what is the purpose of having a gun runner?

The purpose is to provide guns to criminals

So the firearm is to be used in a subsequent crime, which makes your comparison and point moot.

In all likelyhood, any drugs sold aren't going to be used to facilitate a further crime.

Archived