Judge - I am the law and I'll do as I please.

*Gives you a big hug*

You nailed it sister, absolutely spot on!

1) Alcohol is worse than cannabis

2) Cannabis is illegal

3) Because of this, people (who want to buy it) have to buy it from dealers who MAY also introduce them to harder drugs.

It's so simple, yet Harley gets it so wrong. His argument is that drugs are sold by criminals so they should stay illegal, which continues to keep the criminals in business.

EDIT: The law and morals are not the same thing. There are some stupid laws that I wouldn't lose any sleep over if I broke them.

I said may be worse,its not certain.Tests are still being carried out on the long term use of cannabis.

I'm not condoning any breaking of the law either.I'm not preaching but........:rant:

I may not be that clever,but i'm quite capable of recognising a rascal when i see one,:hihi: bearing in mind that you have quoted a section from my post that makes it look as if i'm in favour of growing an illegal herb :shakes:

OK ok, I confess.

But you do see my point. Here is a judge who says he has taken it upon himself to hand out deliberately harsh sentences to the very people involved in illegal drugs that contribute least of all to the wider problem.

The people who are, in spite of their illegal actions, deliberately not funding syndicated crime, smuggling, drug pushing to minors etc.

OK ok, I confess.

But you do see my point. Here is a judge who says he has taken it upon himself to hand out deliberately harsh sentences to the very people involved in illegal drugs that contribute least of all to the wider problem.

The people who are, in spite of their illegal actions, deliberately not funding syndicated crime, smuggling, drug pushing to minors etc.

Yes i do see your point.

I said may be worse,its not certain.Tests are still being carried out on the long term use of cannabis.

Whereas we know for definite that alcohol addiction is a horribly destructive thing

I'm not condoning any breaking of the law either.I'm not preaching but........:rant:

I know you're not condoning, but what you said IS true, I deliberately didn't cut any of the post because I agree with it completely. We may have different opinions on cannabis but we appear to agree on the facts.

I smoked a lot of cannabis in my youth when I had few commitments or responsibilities and also had some money spare. I also drank a lot when I felt like it. Out of the two, I found cannabis to be a much more positive experience.

I come from a long line of self-destructive alcoholics on both sides of my family and can easily identify similar traits in my drunken behaviour to that of my parents. The inspiration I've had for music and other creative activities while smoking or ingesting (I used to bake with it) cannabis is astounding. The inspiration I've had whilst drunk is probably a negative value.

It may be worth pointing out that there is a harmless sub-level of cannabis dealer that buys in ounces straight from the grower. These guys are generally just ordinary, working class folk who sell about 3/4 of the ounce to cover the cost of their own 1/4 Oz. They hurt nobody and sell a relatively small amount just to cover the cost of their own share. This I can tell you from years of experience and I'm sure many past and present smokers on here will agree that this is the most common way that people get their cannabis.

How about if crack were legal and prescribed to addicts for free along with free advice and counseling to help get addicts off the drug?

You dont know the scene in the big American inner city poor areas. You're stuck in Sheffield, hardly Detroit or the south central district of Los Angeles.

Free advice and counseling has already been tried. Nothing new there. Very few get free of crack. It's known to become immediately addicitve after the first try. That info from a police detective who worked with addicts. The stuff is deadly

I find this discussion has moved into the Twilight Zone when it's thought as a viable option that city government should participate in doling out such stuff to those already caught in it's lethal embrace.

"The government as well meaning merchants of death"

What's needed is ever increasing education aimed at young people with lectures by police and those who have been involved with addicts along with graphic photos of those who have fallen vicitm to Crack...... no holds barred,,, the whole horrible picture. All public schools are already involved in such programs. We can save our youngsters with such programs but for those already addicted sorry to say there's very little hope

You dont know the scene in the big American inner city poor areas. You're stuck in Sheffield, hardly Detroit or the south central district of Los Angeles.

That idea has already been tried. Nothing new there. Very few get free of crack. It's known to become immediately addicitve after the first try. That info from a police detective who worked with addicts. The stuff is deadly

I find this discussion has moved into the Twilight Zone when it's thought as a viable option that city government should participate in doling out such stuff to those already caught in it's lethal embrace.

"The government as well meaning merchants of death"

What's needed is ever increasing education aimed at young people with lectures by police and those who have been involved with addicts along with graphic photos of those who have fallen vicitm to Crack...... no holds barred,,, the whole horrible picture. All public schools are already involved in such programs. We can save our youngsters with such programs but for those already addicted sorry to say there's very little hope

Bizzare to say the least

I refer you to post #568

EDIT: Can you give a link to some info on when the idead had been tried? I'd like to take a look at what methods they used.

Whereas we know for definite that alcohol addiction is a horribly destructive thing

I know you're not condoning, but what you said IS true, I deliberately didn't cut any of the post because I agree with it completely. We may have different opinions on cannabis but we appear to agree on the facts.

I smoked a lot of cannabis in my youth when I had few commitments or responsibilities and also had some money spare. I also drank a lot when I felt like it. Out of the two, I found cannabis to be a much more positive experience.

I come from a long line of self-destructive alcoholics on both sides of my family and can easily identify similar traits in my drunken behaviour to that of my parents. The inspiration I've had for music and other creative activities while smoking or ingesting (I used to bake with it) cannabis is astounding. The inspiration I've had whilst drunk is probably a negative value.

It may be worth pointing out that there is a harmless sub-level of cannabis dealer that buys in ounces straight from the grower. These guys are generally just ordinary, working class folk who sell about 3/4 of the ounce to cover the cost of their own 1/4 Oz. They hurt nobody and sell a relatively small amount just to cover the cost of their own share. This I can tell you from years of experience and I'm sure many past and present smokers on here will agree that this is the most common way that people get their cannabis.

Oh Roots i'm quite lost for words now,i'm sorry about your family.

I don't wish to comment though on the pleasurable affects of cannibis that you have experienced.When i was young i was told of that by others i mixed with, and we have all been young once,and i was no Miss Perfect myself.

I worry about the young ones today though,everything is more accessible now.I was 18 when i first encountered drugs of that nature.It seemed to be more confined to student circles in my time.

Young people are naturally curious about everything arn't they,and want to experiment with substances that give them a lift perhaps more so then ever now with all the social pressures.Its so sad though when you hear about young kids (in some cases as young as 13) as seen in the "Frank" website i pasted.At that age i was quite rebellious and if someone had introduced drugs to me at that age i would probably have accepted them.

Anyway i'm rambling now,so i'll get off. :)

I refer you to post #568

EDIT: Can you give a link to some info on when the idead had been tried? I'd like to take a look at what methods they used.

I read post 568. Actually crack and cannabis are different in the sense that many pot smokers have individual (as opposed to gang) sources for their supply and the average pot smoker wiouldn't touch Crack in a month of Sundays. He or she could probably pick up a few joints at some small bar in one of the rural areas in California. The town of Willets up around northern California's Redwood country made a livelhood from growing cannabis out in the boonies. I was personally told this by a gossipy waitress in a restaurant years ago while passing through the town. I didnt know whether to believe her or not but I think she wasn't joking when I saw the town which looked kind of depressed and jobs with decent pay hard to come by apparently. Whether the police put a stop to it or not later on I wouldn't know.

As regards Crack and PCP that is the choice of the poor in the gehtto type neighbourhoods and predominant among African-Americans. There are community activists, church groups as well as the state mandated drug education in the schools who do their best under the circumstances but those already addicted are probably doomed in the long run

Stamp it out with education and before people mess with it. The only real solution.

Oh Roots i'm quite lost for words now,i'm sorry about your family.

I don't wish to comment though on the pleasurable affects of cannibis that you have experienced.When i was young i was told of that by others i mixed with, and we have all been young once,and i was no Miss Perfect myself.

I worry about the young ones today though,everything is more accessible now.I was 18 when i first encountered drugs of that nature.It seemed to be more confined to student circles in my time.

Young people are naturally curious about everything arn't they,and want to experiment with substances that give them a lift perhaps more so then ever now with all the social pressures.Its so sad though when you hear about young kids (in some cases as young as 13) as seen in the "Frank" website i pasted.At that age i was quite rebellious and if someone had introduced drugs to me at that age i would probably have accepted them.

Anyway i'm rambling now,so i'll get off. :)

All the more reason to have clean, age-restricted, legal cannabis, sold responsibly, with laws that limit it's usage. The trouble with cannabis being illegal is that it's so widely accepted as being a relatively harmless drug, that it's the easiest and lowest risk first step of rebellion/experimentation with illegal drugs.

This from The Department of Health: (p 45, cp Edwards Q 28 ) "Cannabis is a weakly addictive drug but does induce dependence in a significant minority of regular cannabis users."

Archived