If I fly Manchester to Baku via Doha do I need a Qatari visa?

As long as you don't leave the airport you won't need a visa. After you get off the flight from Manchester you'll go to the transit lounge and wait there until your onward flight is called. 8 Hours stopover? Take a really big book!!

Thank you Jim Graham and what a gorgeous avatar. Yes it is rather long. I might get the visa to have the option of a day trip around Doha.

Have a look online and you might find someone who does trips from the airport for people with long stopovers. I once had a day out in Amman, Jordan on the way to Malaysia.

you also have the option of paying approx £28 GBP and using the business lounge or Oryx lounge as it is called as there is not much to do in the rest of the airport, if you decided not to leave for a few hours, in the lounge are comfy chairs and free food and drink. Some platinum credit cards will entitle you to free access in the lounge and you can book it in advance or just turn up on the day.

Have a look online and you might find someone who does trips from the airport for people with long stopovers. I once had a day out in Amman, Jordan on the way to Malaysia.

you also have the option of paying approx £28 GBP and using the business lounge or Oryx lounge as it is called as there is not much to do in the rest of the airport, if you decided not to leave for a few hours, in the lounge are comfy chairs and free food and drink. Some platinum credit cards will entitle you to free access in the lounge and you can book it in advance or just turn up on the day.

Both options are great. Thanks! mrsb73, is that lounge safe to have a nap in?

UK passport holders don't need to get a visa in advance to enter Qatar anyway. If you have a UK passport, you are one of the 30-odd nationalities that don't need a visa to enter the country. You get what is called a visa-exempt stamp on arrival. So there is no reason why you can't leave the airport and have a day-trip.

but if you decide to stay put, head to the Qatar airways desk when you get in and get hold of your meal voucher. They don't advertise it, but the airline has to feed you for every stopover over four hours. In fact, you might even be entitled to two meals seeing as you will be stuck there for eight hours.

Archived