Airport expansion vital for growth! What would you do?

Folks from all political parties, businesses and trade unions are saying it is vital for growth that we should expand capacity at our major airports. But Heathrow is at capacity and has no scope for extra flights to emergining economies.

What should we do?

In my opinion slots should be freed up at Heathrow by moving holiday charters to other airports such as Robin Hood. This would allow Scheduled flights to fill those slots. I believe it is stupid that folks from Yorkshire are having to travel to London to take holiday flights when the airports there are already bursting at the seams whilst our own airports are struggling to remain viable.

Do lots of folks from yorkshire have to travel to heathrow for holiday flights?

Where are these people going?

Except for really exotic places like australia or maybe india you can get to most other places from Manchester or Birmingham. You can certainly get to the USA, singapore, dubai and the barbados from manchester. As for mainland europe every patch of grass is doing budget flights to them.

I just cant imagine why there would be that many people from yorkshire taking holiday flights from heathrow. I suspect it would be more likely luton or stanstead for the budget airlines.

yes there are many people who fly from london airports when they live up north. Sometimes it is the only option or the cheapest option.

I agree with others that the concentration on London is damaging to the rest of the UK. My belief is that we should encourage more growth in regional airports rather than having massive hubs like heathrow. Large hubs like Schiphol and Heathrow are awful places. It takes such a long time to get from one gate to the next when you are changing flights it is a nightmare.

Folks from all political parties, businesses and trade unions are saying it is vital for growth that we should expand capacity at our major airports. But Heathrow is at capacity and has no scope for extra flights to emergining economies.

What should we do?

In my opinion slots should be freed up at Heathrow by moving holiday charters to other airports such as Robin Hood. This would allow Scheduled flights to fill those slots. I believe it is stupid that folks from Yorkshire are having to travel to London to take holiday flights when the airports there are already bursting at the seams whilst our own airports are struggling to remain viable.

There are no holiday charter flights that arrive / depart from

Heathrow Airport. Gatwick yes, LHR no.

One way to instantly increase capacity at LHR would be to use mix mode landings on the 2 runways. Although lack of gate space could be an issue.

There are no holiday charter flights that arrive / depart from

Heathrow Airport. Gatwick yes, LHR no.

One way to instantly increase capacity at LHR would be to use mix mode landings on the 2 runways. Although lack of gate space could be an issue.

They've been trialling this since November and it's had a fairly detrimental effect on those living in West London. Residents used to get a half day 'respite period'; flights would alternate incoming/outgoing on each of the runways. A low flying aircraft overhead every two seconds is somewhat tolerable and something you get used to, but now that they run from around 4.30am to 11pm it's a nightmare. Many residents have complained in the 'consultation' but it's assumed they will go ahead regardless.

Add this to the misery of constant major traffic congestion caused by the closure of Hammersmith Flyover, significant air quality issues caused by the same, and no improvement in sight (it's going to get a whole lot worse) due to the olympics closing a lane of the A4 for 'VIPs', West London is a pretty depressing place to be at the moment.

I think that people travelling by air has reached or nearly reached its peak.

Given the constantly increasing price of fuel I would have assumed that the cost of air travel would rise leading to a decline in air travel in the near future. Several travel companies and airlines have ceased operation in the past few years and if that trend continues then we wont need any extra airport capacity.

Or do people believe that fuel prices will suddenly drop?

Archived