Airport expansion vital for growth! What would you do?

Except for really exotic places like australia or maybe india you can get to most other places from Manchester. You can certainly get to dubai from manchester.

You can get to Australia and India from Dubai, so you can get from Manchester to Australia and India by simply getting a flight to Dubai and then changing onto another aircraft.

You can get to Australia and India from Dubai, so you can get from Manchester to Australia and India by simply getting a flight to Dubai and then changing onto another aircraft.

And by waiting around Dubai airport for 18 hours.

And by waiting around Dubai airport for 18 hours.

Unlikely, so many flights out of Dubai to all points east that transfer times are usually a few hours. Having said that Dubai is a horrible airport, swarming with bodies 24/7, and one to avoid. Much prefer Schipol myself, plus easy to get to Schipol from oop north.

I chose LHR to fly to Spain last year, cos BA flights were cheaper and all inclusive and better timings, rather than budget airlines which were more expensive and evening flights.

Makes you wonder why we bother having telephones and videoconferencing doesn't it?

That's right. I regularly send samples of goods by phone. I suppose we really don't need Sheffield's High Speed Rail Link either now that we can ship stuff by phone.:loopy:

That's right. I regularly send samples of goods by phone. I suppose we really don't need Sheffield's High Speed Rail Link either now that we can ship stuff by phone.:loopy:

Very few companies ship by air as it's expensive, most ship by sea and the shipment of goods is not really the issue here anyway.

Makes you wonder why we bother having telephones and videoconferencing doesn't it?

Videoconferencing has its place, but for technical discussions I have found it inappropriate, and face to face discussions far more effective, especially where there is a language barrier and documentation to review and understand.

Folks from all political parties, businesses and trade unions are saying it is vital for growth that we should expand capacity at our major airports. But Heathrow is at capacity and has no scope for extra flights to emergining economies.

What should we do?

In my opinion slots should be freed up at Heathrow by moving holiday charters to other airports such as Robin Hood. This would allow Scheduled flights to fill those slots. I believe it is stupid that folks from Yorkshire are having to travel to London to take holiday flights when the airports there are already bursting at the seams whilst our own airports are struggling to remain viable.

London needs a new airport. International carriers and our own major domestic airlines will always want to fly in and out of London because it's a major financial, political and business centre. Stansted and Gatwick are too far out to attract many scheduled flights. No businessman wants to be dropped off at Stansted in the middle of the night and be faced with finding his way to the City. Gatwick and Luton aren't much better.

Personally, I always try and use Manchester as it's easily accessible by rail from here. I always seem to get where I want to go without too much hassle. Long haul east I usually go through Dubai and flights to the USA are regular and go to various good locations for transfer to onward flights. I used to use Sheffield City Airport a lot to connect through Schipol and Brussels.

Heathrow is a disaster to get to from here so I try and avoid it. Crowded airspace seems to be a problem for the south.

London needs a new airport. International carriers and our own major domestic airlines will always want to fly in and out of London because it's a major financial, political and business centre. Stansted and Gatwick are too far out to attract many scheduled flights. No businessman wants to be dropped off at Stansted in the middle of the night and be faced with finding his way to the City. Gatwick and Luton aren't much better.

Personally, I always try and use Manchester as it's easily accessible by rail from here. I always seem to get where I want to go without too much hassle. Long haul east I usually go through Dubai and flights to the USA are regular and go to various good locations for transfer to onward flights. I used to use Sheffield City Airport a lot to connect through Schipol and Brussels.

Heathrow is a disaster to get to from here so I try and avoid it. Crowded airspace seems to be a problem for the south.

Sheffield City was bang on when it was open, 15 minutes from the front door of my house to check-in. Happy days!

Stansted and Luton are just hell-holes to be avoided at all costs.

I would prefer to go to Doncaster or East midlands Nottingham went from Manchester terminal 2 now I know what security checked cattle feel like especially when they shout in your face about what not to carry, they tend to use Gatwick more than Heathrow for holiday charter slightly better now they have a line from London St Pan by train to Gatwick but it is poor from sheffield if you have a flight mid morning from London long haul consider Paris or Amsterdam or for the USA try Dublin but maybe need an overnight stay

Archived