Airport expansion vital for growth! What would you do?

There are no holiday charter flights that arrive / depart from

Heathrow Airport. Gatwick yes, LHR no.

One way to instantly increase capacity at LHR would be to use mix mode landings on the 2 runways. Although lack of gate space could be an issue.

...By 'mixed mode' do we mean something like a mixture of land-planes withe wheels and seaplanes/Flying Boats landing on water..?

Bring Back Flying-Boats, I say... This would mean that aircraft could take off/land in any decent body of water/harbour, such as the Thames Estuary WITHOUT blocking the river with huge new runways...

...By 'mixed mode' do we mean something like a mixture of land-planes withe wheels and seaplanes/Flying Boats landing on water..?

Arrivals and departures on the same runways; until the recent trial, they were split between the two and swapped over mid-day.

Bring Back Flying-Boats, I say... This would mean that aircraft could take off/land in any decent body of water/harbour, such as the Thames Estuary WITHOUT blocking the river with huge new runways...

Heathrow has 2 runways split into 4 configurations which are 27R 27L 09R and 09L.

Currently 1 runway is used for landings and one runway is used for take offs, if mixed mode was used both runways would be used for landings and take offs at the same time.

When take offs from Heathrow are to the west, runways 27L & 27R will be used.

Currently one of the 27's will be used for landings from first arrival until 3pm and

the other will be used for take offs. At 3pm the runways swap. So the landing runway becomes the takeoff runway from 3pm until last departure and the take off runway becomes the landing runway.

When take offs are to the east, due to the Cranford agreement, the northern runway, which is runway 09L can not be used for take offs. So runway 09L is used as the landing runways all day and 09R is used for take offs all day long.

If mixed mode was introduced permanently then the Cranford agreement would need to be scrapped, although it was announced a couple of years ago that the agreement would at some point be coming to an end.

I think I read somewhere that moving to mixed mode for landings and take offs it would increase capacity at Heathrow by about 150 flights a day.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe we should have an airport nearer the coast so much of the noise is reduced by going down & ascending over the water where population is sparse bar the odd turtle you may have to look at the sunshine islands of the world where folk go for their holidays a lot of the airports are near the coastline if you are thinking of flying boats then an island airport on the Thames takes the strain off London airports now we have the channel tunnel I think airports will have a greater struggle to compete BA were thinking of an island airport a few years ago but they are very close with BAA instead now!

maybe we should have an airport nearer the coast so much of the noise is reduced by going down & ascending over the water where population is sparse bar the odd turtle you may have to look at the sunshine islands of the world where folk go for their holidays a lot of the airports are near the coastline if you are thinking of flying boats then an island airport on the Thames takes the strain off London airports now we have the channel tunnel I think airports will have a greater struggle to compete BA were thinking of an island airport a few years ago but they are very close with BAA instead now!

Near the coast? Like this one?

:D

Archived