Photos of Ponsfords

It was the Coliseum.

Thanks me-and-pippo. Abbeydale Cinema didn't seem to have a doorman who we feared as kids but, I was slightly older when I started going there as it was a bit further for us to go, we weren't allowed across Broadfield Road until we were older. Our stomping ground was Meersbrook Park up to Graves Park until we were teenagers.

Is that the station building on the left...
The station was up some steps on the right; just past the bridge going away from town. Look closely at the photo and you can see part of the BRITISH RAIL(ways) HEEL(ey) sign. Here is an aerial view with the station at the lower right.

No the car breakers is still there. I have it on good authority that it was never the station building, but a lost luggage office or luggage office. The main buildings and platforms were in the main block of heeley station.
Some of the pictures on picture sheffield refer to it as a 'goods office' - I think we forget these days how much non-passenger stuff travelled by rail back in the day. I remember Red Star Parcels at train stations in the eighties and nineties, but presumably they bit the dust in the privatisation

The goods office building later became a post office

Archived