What penalty could I receive for driving a car with no MOT?

:help:my car ran out off mot friday taken it to test center and it failed. the car is not worth doing but i just tax it. just what to no if a got stop by the bobbies what wud i get done for do i get points ur just a fine ps i do have insurance:help:

The chances of getting pulled by the coppers are a chance in a million, so dont worry about it.

I guess you cant get your arguement over without name calling.Theres some proper thicko's on this forum who think they know it all and know sod all.

Having no mot will NOT invalidate your policy at all nor would driving a vehicle that failed an mot,after all if that was the case then hows everybody get their failed vehicles home after an mot?

If a vehicle failed an mot for say brakes and the brake problem caused an accident then the police would be very interested in that person,but even then they would still be insured!

Yes there are some proper thicko's on here, read the bottom paragraph (page 1) in the link below and you will see that you yourself fall into that catagory.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/money/latest-features/insurance/car-mot-risk-of-not-having-one.html

quote:

Driving without a valid MOT certificate is an offence under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and, although conviction for this offence will not result in penalty points being placed on a driving licence, it carries a maximum fine of £1000. What's more, driving without a valid MOT certificate automatically invalidates the insurance policy and should a driver be involved in an accident, they themselves would have to foot the bill for the damages, amounting to an average of £2,450.

I bet if you read the small print of most policies it will say you need to have an up-to-date MOT and TAX for the policy to be valid.

Haha so your guessing then?

When you have your facts straight you will be in a position to advise,till then ........

Guest sibon
Xt500 is quite right - it doesn't automatically invalidate your insurance. There are a few policies that specify it (surprisingly few though) but mainly they talk about roadworthiness. Not having an MOT does not automatically mean it is unroadworthy.

Now, if it turns out you have no MOT many insurance companies will reject your claim when you first make it, but if it were to go to court then only if the car was unroadworthy would the insurance company win.

I thought that the MOT was a test of roadworthiness.

Failing an MOT makes your car unroadworthy.

Passing it doesn't neccessarily make it roadworthy.

Driving without an MOT is an offence and almost certainly invalidates insurance.

Link

Car been sold to scrap yard got a fair price I think of to buy a new one thanks for all coments.after a citron picasso diesel hdi got about 1000 to spend so if u have owt please let me now cash waiting

Xt500 is quite right - it doesn't automatically invalidate your insurance. There are a few policies that specify it (surprisingly few though) but mainly they talk about roadworthiness. Not having an MOT does not automatically mean it is unroadworthy.

Now, if it turns out you have no MOT many insurance companies will reject your claim when you first make it, but if it were to go to court then only if the car was unroadworthy would the insurance company win.

And just what legal qualifications do you have to make this statement ?. Have you even bothered to read the link in post 42, bottom section on page 1, it's there in black & white what the law states regarding to the use of a motor vehicle without an mot. If you want to take this risk fair enough but don't encourage others to break the law.

I believe insurance may be invalid if your vehicle is deemed unroadworthy. However, not having an MOT certificate doesn’t mean the vehicle is unroadworthy, and likewise, possessing an MOT certificate doesn’t mean the vehicle is roadworthy.

What part of this statement is so hard to understand ?.

Consequences of driving without an MOT

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/money/latest-features/insurance/car-mot-risk-of-not-having-one.html

Driving without a valid MOT certificate is an offence under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and, although conviction for this offence will not result in penalty points being placed on a driving licence, it carries a maximum fine of £1000. What's more, driving without a valid MOT certificate automatically invalidates the insurance policy and should a driver be involved in an accident, they themselves would have to foot the bill for the damages, amounting to an average of £2,450.

Archived