What penalty could I receive for driving a car with no MOT?

What part of this statement is so hard to understand ?.

Consequences of driving without an MOT

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/money/latest-features/insurance/car-mot-risk-of-not-having-one.html

Driving without a valid MOT certificate is an offence under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and, although conviction for this offence will not result in penalty points being placed on a driving licence, it carries a maximum fine of £1000. What's more, driving without a valid MOT certificate automatically invalidates the insurance policy and should a driver be involved in an accident, they themselves would have to foot the bill for the damages, amounting to an average of £2,450.

You may wish to get your info from an official source in future rather than a talktalk website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108

Which bit of the statement 'Your insurance MAY also be invalid' is so hard to understand?

The chances of getting pulled by the coppers are a chance in a million, so dont worry about it.

I think I should explain further.

I meant you are only likely to be pulled if you are driving like an arse.

Obviously you need your vehicle checked over by a qualifified man.

That goes without saying.

Nicely found, been looking for something official.

The only problem here is that the link relates to a car going to and from a test centre without a valid mot certificate. General use of a car other than in those circumstances may differ.

Why you need an MOT certificate

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance

bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair

taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired

bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid.

The police can ask to see an MOT certificate for a vehicle that needs to have one. They also have access to the computerised records of MOT test results and can tell if the MOT certificate for your vehicle has expired.

It is your responsibility as the vehicle owner to ensure that the due MOT test is carried out in time. You can subscribe to the text reminder service

After reading post 42 and the link, he does seem to have the facts straight so now who's wrong.

Just because someone on another site misinforms that doesnt mean im wrong and im not.

Seems we have a bunch of guessers,yet i would think everyone here has an insurance cert yet not one has said they have read it and thats what it says.

Just because you think something doesnt make it right!!

Archived