Dad's Desktop PC - No Operating System??

Rich

Topic.

Fired up Dad's Windows 7 powered Desktop this morning, well I tried to, damn thing wouldn't boot up, it kept saying "no operating system"! So I've been using the Laptop all day, which only has Windows XP.

Anyway, is Dad's Desktop [removed]? Is there anything he can do?

No LMGTFY links please.

What's the boot order set to in the BIOS? Is there a CD in the drive..is it trying to boot from that rather than the hdd?

What's the boot order set to in the BIOS? Is there a CD in the drive..is it trying to boot from that rather than the hdd?

Wouldn't matter if there was. A boot order is just that, an order in which the system tries to boot.

If it can't boot from device 1 then it moves onto device 2 then 3 if necessary

If there was a CD in the drive it would move on if it didn't contain a bootable OS. Whereas a USB stick is like a hard drive and the BIOS would just stop.

Mine doesn't stop if I have a USB stick in without a OS.

My boot order goes:

USB > CD > HDD

If there was a CD in the drive it would move on if it didn't contain a bootable OS. Whereas a USB stick is like a hard drive and the BIOS would just stop.

Your BIOS doesn't make any differentiation based on the media (or it shouldn't do if it's working correctly). It should only stop when it runs out of options. You could have 100 hard drives in your machine, none except one with bootable partitions, and even if they're all listed in your boot order, it will still boot from the one drive which is bootable.

I can't believe I just remembered this but if I plug any "I" device(nano-pad-phone) into my pc before turning it on it won't boot. rich have you got your touch plugged in?

It's plugged into mine yes, but not Dad's (cos he won't let me install Itunes, cos my Brother thinks it's "bad")

And no, he is NOT an idiot.

It's plugged into mine yes, but not Dad's (cos he won't let me install Itunes, cos my Brother thinks it's "bad")

Wow. I dont recal anyone saying he was.

I do recal people trying to help you though.

For the record you dont have to be an "idiot" to forget something is plugged into oyur puter, suprisingly lots of people do it all the time then scratch their heads for ages wondering why the pc suddenly wont boot.

You know rich you really do have a bad attitude its no wonder people troll you all the time

Just for the record:

My E-System 'Vista Home Basic' lappy, won't boot if my external backup USB drive is plugged in.

OP, perhaps try some of the software I posted a link to in another post.

Or google for Hiren's bood cd.

Just to check that the HD isn't shot.

Archived