Should the UK have a proper public debate about drugs policy?

Should UK Drug policy be properly discussed?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should UK Drug policy be properly discussed?

• Yes
    • No
    • We discuss it endlessly and get nowhere.

Politicians will do whatever gets them the most votes.

Not necessarily. The Major and Brown governments certainly didn't do what they needed to do to stay in office. And the Lib-Dems at the moment aren't actually doing themselves any favours in the opinion polls.

As for the poll, I'm all in favour but the problem is that the anti-legalising people just call you a smackhead chav if you think there should be a rethink with a view towards possible de-criminalising. The fact that drug dealers and abusers are doing quite well out of the status quo doesn't seem to occur to them. Talking of which, what happened to Bassman62?

Yes, to give a resounding NO to the druggies who will realise they're a minority.

See what I mean? Do you really think drug abusers will look at the results of a public debate and see the errors of their ways as a result? Do you think they don't already know they're a minority and are bothered about it?

Not necessarily. The Major and Brown governments certainly didn't do what they needed to do to stay in office. And the Lib-Dems at the moment aren't actually doing themselves any favours in the opinion polls.

As for the poll, I'm all in favour but the problem is that the anti-legalising people just call you a smackhead chav if you think there should be a rethink with a view towards possible de-criminalising. The fact that drug dealers and abusers are doing quite well out of the status quo doesn't seem to occur to them. Talking of which, what happened to Bassman62?

overdosed

See what I mean? Do you really think drug abusers will look at the results of a public debate and see the errors of their ways as a result? Do you think they don't already know they're a minority and are bothered about it?
Many of the druggies on SF seem to think they're a majority, and that anybody who doesn't adore filling their brain with drug-induced escapism is a fool. Even posts above in this thread confirm it- apparently the general population are idiots for not wanting illegal drugs to be legalised.

I don't suppose it occurs to the drug users that their views are slightly skewed. And don't forget, they are criminals so their opinions and votes should not be counted.

I'm all for anything which ends drug related crime. A day barely goes by when the gangs in the scummy areas of Liverpool aren't shooting each other. I'm neither pro or anti drugs. If someone feels their life needs enhancing with chemicals, that's their thing.

But what are the alternatives? Would Britain be a legal drug utopia if things were changed? I sincerely doubt it. It's very easy to look at the Netherlands with rose tinted specs and see the lovely café's, but there's still a seedier side to the town and dealers operating on street corners.

This article claims "Consumption of marijuana had nearly tripled from 15 to 44% among 18-20 year olds".

In Switzerland: "Tolerant drug policies in Switzerland have resulted in an influx of drug users. In 1987, the Swiss Government permitted drug use and sales in a part of Zurich called Platzspitz, or “Needle Park.” By 1992, over 20,000 drug users congregated in the park, and the surrounding areas were overrun with crime. The park has been shut down and the experiment has been terminated. "

But I'm sure there are sites which can equally proclaim positives.

Would Britain become a drug holiday destination?

Would drug use increase? It did in the Netherlands when they legalised it. Would there be enough education on the dangers of drug driving?

And as someone as already said, would the dealers suddenly roll over and give up their very lucrative businesses?

The whole situation is beyond the debate of a forum, which is why no country has really come up with a solution that would benefit everyone.

This article claims "Consumption of marijuana had nearly tripled from 15 to 44% among 18-20 year olds".

Your source there is the Drug Enforcement Administration, a US Government website.

They were well known for targetting patient groups for raids when the medical marijuana laws were being debated. Arresting cancer patients doesn't put them in the best light.

I am not wanting to start another thread about drugs, there is a current one here, but I think that it is time the subject was properly discussed, for example in parliament.

I'm just wondering how many others also do.

I do but I'm not eligible to vote in UK parliamentary elections.

But the chances of a sensible discussion about the matter in Parliament is as ambitious as hoping for one here.

Your source there is the Drug Enforcement Administration, a US Government website.

They were well known for targetting patient groups for raids when the medical marijuana laws were being debated. Arresting cancer patients doesn't put them in the best light.

That's my point. Pro-drug organisations and anti-drug organisations will be able to provide biased stats to prove their points.

Archived