Hillsborough school

ruzzer

The teachers you mention arrodbo were all from Chaucer. I remember them well, especially Mr Sid (Buster) Newham who was indeed deputy head when Chaucer first opened....I had him for maths and had many a beating....great bloke though.

Yes I had him for maths too. I was terrified of him!

• 7 months later...

I was at Parkside Road 1959 to 1965 then went to Chaucer. From the very early days I had a friend called David Breen / Bream?.

His mother remarried and I think he became David Robinson and moved to Stavely?.

I would love to track him down.

Another good friend was Tony Gardener - went into refrigeration engineering in later life but lost track.

As for Mr Cohen - lovely man, I remember he had the front page of a newspaper on the wall about the Titanic being lost.

Anyone remember the class hamster that kept escaping .... And the new tangled science lessons on the radio.

I was at Parkside Road 1959 to 1965 then went to Chaucer. From the very early days I had a friend called David Breen / Bream?. His mother remarried and I think he became David Robinson and moved to Stavely?. I would love to track him down. Another good friend was Tony Gardener ...
Hi David - welcome to the Forum!.:) I have sent you a Private Message with a couple of possible leads.

Pop T

Hello Pop T , I believe we have crossewd swords before on another thread ?

Cant think what it was , maybe CTS ?

However I note your attendance at Hillsboro School and I indeed attended there to 1952. I remember the occasion of silence in assembly for the death of King George 1V in 1952, so shortly after then the family moved to Crosspool . I left and would have been 8 years.

We lived on Dudley Road, and remember being late when mum and dad overslept, and detention was the norm for lateness. However I always escaped detention because my shoes were always clean !

Gary Marshman

North Wales

hi GMarshman

Yes we have crossed swords before as you put it.

Fancy remembering the death of George V1.

I remember the school trips one was a holiday in Flamborough Village where we slept in the school gym, another was a trip to Newton Abbott in Devon staying in a big house overlooking the town.

I can also remember a school trip to the Festival of Britain in 1951 and it was great.

We slept in one of the deep underground tunnelsClapham North which had been converted into dormitories.

We visited the Dome of Discovery, the South Bank Hall and the Skylon as well as many of the exhibition Halls.

Since then I have travelled the world and none of my travels have overshadowed my times on the school trip memories.

Does anyone else remember any of these school holidays?

Happy Days! PopT

Pop T,

Think you will be a little older than I !!!! I dont remember any trips. I remember slinking off to the boating lake in Hillsboro Park after school and getting a tromboning from mum!!!

Now you have embarrassed me with your superior knowledge!

I stated George the IV, a typing error, or need better specs. It is of course George VI.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Archived