I'm Not Bothered About The Olympics. Are You?

You've got to admit to opening show is amazing. Must have cost a small fortune, but hat off to organisers.

I never thought I'd say that.

Never

Never

I agree its been spectacular! I'm really glad to have seen it.

I'm scared of us paying it off for the future. The current economic climate is not the time for a project like this. Of course, it will generate billions of income - for the hoteliers & brewery chains kerching.

A macro world student games.

Every olympics since the war has cost more than it has generated, always difficult to quantify I know, but this one will be no different. The initial outlay when we bid, we were told was to about £2Bn, within a very short space of time that had gone to around £9Bn, goodness knows what the final cost will be, we'll probably not be told, but I suspect a lot of countries around the world are thankful at the moment that they aren't hosting it on financial reasons alone. Plus a lot of tickets & package deals through travel agents for events remain unsold.

Been pretty lame so far. The first bit looked like a cross between the tellytubbies set and a blue Peter project.

Not a patch on Beijing and not worth the money.

And why, in England is the French translation of every announcement preceding the English one? Imagine that happening in Paris. :hihi:

Where's all the fireworks? Where did all the cash go?

We're about 10 mins in to 2 hours of flag parades. Yawn.

Bet half the audience has switched over to Dave or fallen asleep.

No actually back here on Planet Earth the REAL reason is not particuarly hard to find.

French is the official language of the Olympics

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080809201623AA8pzzz

......the founder of the Modern Olympic Games was French, and the Headquarters of the International Olympic Committee is located in Switzerland (not France as noted below) -- French is one of the official languages of Switzerland.

Plenty more links if you care to look

I went into this quite skeptical mainly because of the negative criticism on SF but reserved judgement until it was over. I know it may have upset the time schedule's for the..let's say enlightened JK or Coppers enthusiasts, but I really have to doff my hat at Danny Boyle for an enjoyable production.

Regardless of the politics..well done.

I thought Martin Samuel wrote a good article about this. He basically said he wasn't bothered with the whingeing about the Olympics, he was bothered about the whingeing about the whingers.

It seems no negative comments will be entertained about the Olympics. Sorry, but when somebody relentlessly tries to force it down your throat, I'll protest.

I love sport. Last Sunday was exceptional with great golf, a decent Grand Prix and an awesome cricketing performance from South Africa. But don't tell me that we've all suddenly developed a taste for Tai Kwando or Skeet Shooting.

The Olympic supporters remind me of charity-givers. It's not enough for them to simple give, they've got to let the world know about it and criticise anybody who doesn't join in.

Archived