OCCUPY - Noam Chomsky Feb 2012

Holocaust deniers have the right to question history, gravity deniers have the right to question gravity. A possible solution would be to throw the holocaust deniers out of a plane at 30K' near the splat spot where the gravity deniers are gathered and see if the gravity deniers change their mind on the subject of gravity.

Indeed. How will that prove anything to the holocaust deniers though?

Well it is. You might not like it, it might all be lies, but why should people not have the right to question history?

What I like or don't like, or think is right, or not right, doesn't come into it. Somebody might think drug trafficking or interfering with small children is fine even though it is illegal. Holocaust denial is illegal in about thirty countries - including France. The fact is Chomsky publicly endorsed a racist antisemite.

What I like or don't like, or think is right, or not right, doesn't come into it. Somebody might think drug trafficking or interfering with small children is fine even though it is illegal. Holocaust denial is illegal in about thirty countries - including France. The fact is Chomsky publicly endorsed a racist antisemite.

As I read it he endorsed the man's right to be a racist anti-semite.

Why should denial of an historical event be a crime? I don't know of a single historian who supports that idea.

And on a wider point, and reiterate the question - why should people not have the right to question history?

And on a wider point, and reiterate the question - why should people not have the right to question history?

At what point is something proved as truth?

(Go further back in history and I question records, but the Holocaust, I don't have any doubt!)

he endorsed a racist nutcase when he should have just realised the guy was a total imbecile and just ignored him like everyone else. Chomsky praised his 'extensive research when everyone else saw that the Holocaust denier had just ignored the mountains of evidence.

but this shouldn't be any surprise. Because Chomsky is just like the Holocaust denier. Starts off with this premise and then seeks to buttress it with 'facts', when you could get hold of the facts first, before drawing any conclusions. This is why Chomsky has been caught out so many times.

Chomsky - America’s Dumbest Intellectual

http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_3_urbanities-americas_dumbe.html

With this [academic linguistics] fame as a base, the professor proceeded to wander far from his area of expertise. Such uses of fame, ironically, are common in the country Chomsky attacks so relentlessly. In America, you come across two kinds of fame: vertical and horizontal. The vertical celebrity owes his renown to one thing—Luciano Pavarotti, for example, is famous for his singing, period. The horizontal celebrity, conversely, merchandises his fame by convincing the public that his mastery of one field is transferable to another. Thus singers Barbra Streisand and Bono give speeches on public policy; thus linguistics professor Chomsky poses as an expert on geopolitics.

Why too seriously? Surely, we're only doing with Chomsky what we do with those who express their Chomskyesque rights to holocaust denial and anti-Semitism?

We're pointing and laughing at the silly man and his silly ideas.

Archived