Can you sue a School?

What about me...

I moved school in year 8, and got given a pupil number, but no computer password which the other kids had. I had to computer share, and this was fine for 2 years. When we started coursework, although I was at every lesson of IT, I had to wait until my friends finished on the computer, and log in as them so I could do the work, and as it got harder, they took longer, and I was getting maybe 10 minutes at the end of each lesson. I kept asking for this password, and they kept telling it I would have it next week. Until the point my teacher told me I was not entered for the exam, as I hadn't done the coursework. I still sat there in every lesson and didn't do anything. I went to college after and did the GCSE so I don't care any more, but would it have been suable if I hadn't done it? I have always wondered...

Can you sue a school for failure of duty and incompetence and if so, how do you go about it?

You can if you have exhausted the formal complaints procedure. Have you made a formal complaint to the head of governors because that's the place to start? But don't hold your breath.

When I made a serious formal complaint to a Sheffield secondary school the head of governors wrote to the council legal services for advice. The advice that came back was not to answer the complaint at all. After that I went to OFSTED and they weren't a lot of use either. In the end I got the backing of my MP and went to the local government ombudsman who did a good job for me but it took months.

Basically, schools are a law unto themselves so if the school refuses to deal with a formal complaint sue the backsides off them in a heartbeat.

I did get some consolation though because the head teacher was removed after OFSTED received complaints from other parents and the head of legal services was also removed.

Does he have a SEN?

And no problem ;)

The child is not statemented at the moment because the school refuse to support a statement due to the extra money coming from school budget, which is understandable.

I agreed that the child could have a support worker in nearly half of classes even though the support worker was allocated to someone else but the school have not done this either :(

The child is not statemented at the moment because the school refuse to support a statement due to the extra money coming from school budget, which is understandable.

I think someone is lying to you.

I know a young lad who has just had his hours increased from 10 to 20 pw, the money for the extra hours comes from the LEA and not the school budget.

Get in touch with the LEA, its possible hes slipped through the net andall the help he needs is waiting just round the corner.

MrMoran is correct, the school will receive extra funding for him if he is given a statement.

Have you thought of moving schools? I know it's a big upheaval but seeing as you've had so much stress already it may be your best option.

MrMoran is correct, the school will receive extra funding for him if he is given a statement.

Have you thought of moving schools? I know it's a big upheaval but seeing as you've had so much stress already it may be your best option.

I would definatly agree with this. Changing schools can be much much better in the long run. Sure its an upheaval but the benefits can be massive.

Lucy, go visit some of the local schools in your area, Then get in touch the LEA and your GP. Doctors can be really helpful when it comes to getting the statement ball rolling.

By the way, screaming in a kiddies face isnt bad teaching. Its bordering on abuse.

Yes, i am looking into moving schools at the minute :)

I think someone is lying to you.

I know a young lad who has just had his hours increased from 10 to 20 pw, the money for the extra hours comes from the LEA and not the school budget.

Get in touch with the LEA, its possible hes slipped through the net andall the help he needs is waiting just round the corner.

will give them a call....thanks :)

Archived