Getting possessions back from ex-employer

How would you get your personal belongings back from an ex-employer?

I was laid off last year by a local delivery company, on good terms, as work was very quiet, but signed on and so long as I could use the work van in my own time sparingly to the shops etc (he and his wife even said it'd be safer outside my house than parked up unused), agreed to still work a couple of mornings every week unpaid. I told the DSS that I began this work voluntarily under 16 hours.

However, he seems to have become more sullen during the last few weeks even though I am totally honest, worked well and satisfactorily with no complaints from clients or motoring offences etc. Some of those mornings I let the boss know I wouldn't be in, which wasn't a problem apparently, except last week (Wed).

The next thing was Saturday a.m when I got a text saying that he had taken the van as he was moving home, which has been on the cards for a while- but nobody plans a full house family move on that same day- so why not let me know well in advance instead of looking mardy and spiteful for...whatever it was? I texted saying how illogical and spiteful it was at the last minute (without swearing etc), he said he had no option.

The van wasn't brought back here all weekend, which is fine as it isn't mine, but why the attitude?

I haven't been told I can't have/open the van nor that I cannot visit his premises etc, just the stonewall act! He hasn't asked for the spare van key either.

That leaves me- do I use my van key and go down there to open the van - if there- to collect my stuff (a coat, mobile charger etc) or, as I texted him today to no reply yet, go in tomorrow to face him with my stuff and a couple of items he has at his house?

:confused:

First world problems are horrendous aren`t they.

I wouldn't know.

Regarding the post, I said I was asking him. I'm still owed back wages too which can't just be given tomorrow, and have had no reply to my text for a collection of my stuff.

I was upset over the arrogant treatment regarding that van, not the vehicle itself.

How would you get your personal belongings back from an ex-employer?I was laid off last year by a local delivery company, on good terms, as work was very quiet, but signed on and so long as I could use the work van in my own time sparingly to the shops etc (he and his wife even said it'd be safer outside my house than parked up unused), agreed to still work a couple of mornings every week unpaid. I told the DSS that I began this work voluntarily under 16 hours.However, he seems to have become more sullen during the last few weeks even though I am totally honest, worked well and satisfactorily with no complaints from clients or motoring offences etc. Some of those mornings I let the boss know I wouldn't be in, which wasn't a problem apparently, except last week (Wed).The next thing was Saturday a.m when I got a text saying that he had taken the van as he was moving home, which has been on the cards for a while- but nobody plans a full house family move on that same day- so why not let me know well in advance instead of looking mardy and spiteful for...whatever it was? I texted saying how illogical and spiteful it was at the last minute (without swearing etc), he said he had no option.The van wasn't brought back here all weekend, which is fine as it isn't mine, but why the attitude?I haven't been told I can't have/open the van nor that I cannot visit his premises etc, just the stonewall act! He hasn't asked for the spare van key either.That leaves me- do I use my van key and go down there to open the van - if there- to collect my stuff (a coat, mobile charger etc) or, as I texted him today to no reply yet, go in tomorrow to face him with my stuff and a couple of items he has at his house?

Regarding the post, I said I was asking him. I'm still owed back wages too which can't just be given tomorrow, and have had no reply to my text for a collection of my stuff.

I was upset over the arrogant treatment regarding that van, not the vehicle itself.

Laid off last year, still owed wages, but working unpaid.

The only trouble here is that you are not working unpaid, your getting payment in-kind by having the use of the van. As for going and getting your belongings he has taken the vehicle back off you, and you going and entering that vehicle without consent by using the spare key could land you in all sorts of trouble with the police.

I am owed wages for the period before being laid off! Thus I am owed for WORK which he has always agreed he owes.

The only trouble here is that you are not working unpaid, your getting payment in-kind by having the use of the van. As for going and getting your belongings he has taken the vehicle back off you, and you going and entering that vehicle without consent by using the spare key could land you in all sorts of trouble with the police.

True, that's why I'm asking here. But I do have a spare key and haven't been told not to use it. But yes, I have asked to meet him.

What if he isn't available or doesn't give them back (or dvd's at his home)- Can I call the cops?

I am owed wages for the period before being laid off! Thus I am owed for WORK which he has always agreed he owes.

True, that's why I'm asking here. But I do have a spare key and haven't been told not to use it. But yes, I have asked to meet him.

What if he isn't available or doesn't give them back - Can I call the cops?

Well to be honest, if i was in your situation i would look at it this way, he's taken the van back, so based on that he doesent want me to use it. Even by having a spare key for the van would i be in order to go and use it, NO, i would'nt even think of it. Hit something or someone and what happens, your up the creek without a paddle if he says you have not got permission to use the vehicle. Using a vehicle without insurance/taking a vehicle without consent the list could go on and on. As for your belongings, you will just have to try and contact him to resolve the matter, i don't think you would have much joy with the police if you contacted them regarding such trivial things as a coat and phone charger given the circumstances.

Archived