Gaming on laptops: high risk of heat failure

gamezone07

MSI declares itself a victim of Sandy Bridge 6 series chip flaw

All shipments stopped

By Rob Coppinger

Wed Feb 02 2011, 18:04

ANOTHER VICTIM of the flawed Sandy Bridge 6 Series support chip has announced that it has stopped all shipments and named the affected products.

In its statement Taiwanese manufacturer MSI said that Intel has told it that the performance of some of the Intel SATA ports on the 6 series chip, also known as Cougar Point, can degrade over three years and stop working.

MSI explained that it is investigating product batches that might be affected and has stopped all shipments to its distributors and resellers.

The company has also asked resellers to hold sales of the Intel 6 series based MSI products to customers until the issue can be resolved. Intel has said it won't begin to ship corrected chips until later this month.

The MSI products impacted are: the MSI Intel P67 mainboards A-GD65, A-GD55, A-GD53, A-C45, A-C43 and 7S-C43; the MSI Intel H67 mainboards A-ED55, A-E45, A-E43 and A-E33; the MSI notebook Intel PM67 based GT680R; and the MSI Intel HM67 based CR640 and CX640. µ

Source: The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14gyS)

Oh dear, looks like the rest of it hasn't got long..

If they've declared that they have affected chips then would they not cover repair/replacement of affected units themselves? They should be able to work out when their units were built and therefore prove that the laptop is still under warranty, but I don't know whether they are likely to find that you would have invalidated the warranty if you take it to pieces yourself, so please be careful to check whether you have a claim before you take action.

After going on many forums, I’m not sure my chip has failed because of excess heat, it was only 60% on GPU Z when playing the high spec games, there was no graphical corruption, burning smell, etc, the machine did not cut off, it was only a day or so later when I tried to play that the nvidia card was missing and i replicated the issue using the integrated card which didn't get very hot.

Anyway, it seems like many many people with Nvidia series M Laptop G/c's with and without the Optimus 'dual card switching' technology series have just had their dedicated cards disappear!, from the device manager and Speccy, etc. While some will be card failures from heat, etc , others clearly are not, many owners of Nvidia M series complain that even though the card is noted in D/M, not only it has gone, but have had to use a fix to reinstall the driver so that the Nvidia ID can be recognised.

Something is clearly up with nvidia laptop cards, definitely over heating issues exist, mine might be a heat issue, but this driver issue is a massive problem, people may be paying to have their cards repaired, etc , when its a software issue..

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222594

MSI declares itself a victim of Sandy Bridge 6 series chip flaw

This is nothing to do with a Nvidia chip.

After going on many forums, I’m not sure my chip has failed because of excess heat..............but this driver issue is a massive problem, people may be paying to have their cards repaired, etc , when its a software issue..

Sound like you need to bite the bullet and reinstall windows. With a desktop I'd tell you to chuck another HD: in and install quickly on that to test saving you wiping your current install. Gaming laptops are almost always a bad idea.

Archived