Any BrazilianJJ in sheffield?

want2learn

Originally posted by bjjmonkey

hi there,

i train & i help out with the coaching at royce gracie yorkshire derbyshire,the head coach is royce he comes over about twice a year,the coach is steve marsden he's a blue belt 2 strip & last but not least me-assistant coach mark"the monkey"bottom i'm a blue belt.:D we train on a monday & wednessday.

mon- 8.00-9.45 at dronfield school(franshaw site) upstairs of the upper movement hall(light brown building near top of slope) green lane,dronfield s18.

call steve on 07879662251 for any more info

wed-7.15-10.15 at graves tennis & leisure center (go to the badminton court area we'll be in the changing rooms)

call mark 0n 07939972758 for any more info

frist lesson free after that classes are £5.00 on mon & £6.00 on wed(it's only £1.00 for the extra hour & 15 mins)

we are a friendly bunch & welcome new comers,we have a wide group of body types & abilities:clap:

royce should be up in feb 2006 :heyhey: i carn't wait to train with him again.

hope this answers everthing for you.

p.s. thanx 4 the interest :thumbsup:

i may give that a whirl later in the year when i can drive... will be odd going back to my old school thou :|

ok, maybe i phrased my question wrong, i am a yank after all.

Yes I agree a great competitor doesnt necasserily equal a great coach but you got to see what works, i have fought and lost many a time luckily won more than lost but what i learnt from the experience is something that you will never learn in a training session.

i learnt more about myself both character and bjj in just one 6 minute match than i did in years of training.

if brendan ingle had never boxed would he be such a great coach?

Originally posted by want2learn

ok, maybe i phrased my question wrong, i am a yank after all.

don't worry, no one's perfect! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

no, perhaps Brendan wouldn't have been such a great coach if he'd never boxed, but he made something like top 10 in the british rankings...good, but not brilliant. my point is simply that there's no correllation between the level at which one competes and the level at which one teaches/instructs (i'm pretty sure that this could easily be verified by a myriad of examples in many different sports). if i went to Brendan's gym it would because of his ability to teach, not because of his competition record, same with the martial arts club that i choose.

Why don't you just give each of the clubs a try and then decide? :)

Nilson's club no longer have a BJJ instructor, Nilson left. I don't believe either remaining club really focusses on competition or has been in a competitive environment for long enough to create any 'champions'. Not to say that they won't do. I could be wrong, I don't know much about the dronfield club so I can't say much more about that but from what I have heard they're in much the same position as we are.

To be honest, if you're looking for the absolute cream of the crop tuition from established champions at clubs churning out competitors... Sheffield probably isn't the best place for it. We're not exactly the centre of the BJJ world. We do however have a couple of amateur clubs who train hard, have a great atmosphere and are working at establishing themselves better. There is a competition in... march? I think, that we are all training towards, but I personally haven't entered a competition for years and while some other people have, it's not been the primary focus of the club.

The only martial art club I can think of that fits that sort of internationally renowned, competitive profile in Sheffield is the wicker thai boxing camp.

Originally posted by want2learn

ok, so you judge the best gym by the number of champions it has created?

champion students = good instructor

so out of gracie barra sheffield, nilsons club and steves club who has the most champions?

I certainly don't judge the best gym by the number of champions it has created. 'best' is subjective - what is best for me might not be best for you. i like the place i train at - i like the instruction, the atmosphere, the people, the venue, the time, etc. - i would never ever claim that it is the 'best', it just suits me. each club may have its own philosophy anyway - one club might want to turn out champions, one might want to teach for self-defence and fun - Sheffield is a big enough city to house 2 or more BJJ clubs in perfect harmony, without one having to be 'better' than another.

i agree entirely with crayfish - sheffield is hardly the centre of the BJJ world. Gracie Barra is a more established club and possibly (probably?) has more people training there who have competed (in BJJ), but i'm not sure. as for champions? i really have no idea.

Archived