Released Prisoners to be forced straight onto Work Programme

I think this would have been a very interesting policy if it had been done at a time when the economy was thriving and the obvious aim of it was to help offenders to find work and re-enter society, but we're in a time of full on economic crisis, capitalists are trying to kick start their economy and it's perfectly legitimate to question, under these circumstances, whose interests are really being served here? Heads of corporations are surely rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of free labour being made available to them.

The Spanish began exporting black slaves from Africa to the Carribean at a time of crisis in early capitalism- they'd wiped out a large portion of the indigenous population through disease and warfare and they needed labour for their mining, forestry and agricultural exploits, so they began by buying people cheap from indigenous African slave traders and eventually they (and other nations) went in and snatched people. Of course, once the process was 'normalised' (as is it will be in our society in a few years) then it became fashionable for rich people to own slaves.

Thr travesty of slavery was that the people had no choice, just as today these policies being proposed on a regular basis seem increasingly to be moving towards that position- it's sick, disgusting and just as before, once it takes hold, people will have to fight and die to overturn it in the future.

Is that the legacy you want to leave for your kids- we're the generation that paved the way for slavery to once again be fashionable in the world? I really hope not.

The reason why convicted criminals get a hard time finding a job is because of their own earlier actions. You've been sent down numerous time for violence yes, are you saying I shouldn't even consider that you have an extensive record of not controlling your temper when I next come to hire?

Hmmm, Daddy or chips!

I havn't been in trouble since 1999, that is 13 years ago and the trouble I did get in was for retaliating, I was never the aggressor.

I'm now 39yrs old with 2 kids but at the time of my last offence I was 26yrs old and single and I have not been in trouble for 13 years and no I'm not saying any employer shouldn't consider this but the truth is when you mention you have a record your chances are out of the window.

My qualifications are=

Class 2 hgv licence from 2006

Fork lift licence from 2010

C&G Joinery from 1990

C&G Motorcycle maintanence level 1 and 2 from 2007

BICS Industrial cleaning level 1,2, and 3 from 1994

CLAIT (It) from 2000

I have been unemployed for 2mths since selling my share of a failing business and have applied for over 100 jobs, I have not had a single reply and the jobcentre just treat you like **** so I signed of 3wks ago.

There have been times when I have thought that 13yrs out of trouble is a long time yet this society never lets you forget and puts up barriers etc etc.

I'm telling you as an ex con that the more barriers ex cons face the more likely they will go on to re offend.

Prisoners have done their punishment when released yet no one gives them a job and then when they re offend the non criminals bleat about how they should work like everyone else etc but how can they if no one gives them a chance.

I'm starting my own property maintanance company soon and Im fortunate that I have money to do this but I understand why many criminals end up re offending as when they come out they have no jobs, no prospects, no money and the stigma of being an ex con.

A knock on effect would hopefully be that crime rates would go down, which is better for everyone, not only by reducing crime and it's affects, but also insurance costs, Policing costs, prison costs, etc...

when has crime rates going down reduced insurance/prison/policing costs?:huh: mine have gone up year on year

Nobody has said that it will be added to the sentence. If you can provide any kind of evidence I'm willing to have a look.

The only way they can force prisoners onto this scheme is by making it a condition of your release licence.

If you get 2yrs you serve one yr inside and when you get out you are on licence for another year so adding it to the licence is the only way and when the prisoner refuses he goes back to jail to serve the remainder of the licence in jail.

The way they are suggesting of no benefits if you dont participate will only increase re offending rates.

Released Prisoners - Work Programme

Many of these people are vulnerable with poor social skills, low levels of literacy, substance issues and other behavioural problems. Is turning them into slaves going to help them?

I can see disaster written all over this. These Tories have absolutely no idea. Totally out of touch.

Most won't do it and resort to crime. We know they shouldn't but it'll be ordinary people who suffer, as usual...

The only way they can force prisoners onto this scheme is by making it a condition of your release licence.

If you get 2yrs you serve one yr inside and when you get out you are on licence for another year so adding it to the licence is the only way and when the prisoner refuses he goes back to jail to serve the remainder of the licence in jail.

The way they are suggesting of no benefits if you dont participate will only increase re offending rates.

That makes sense, but not financial. There's a massive difference betweem what JSA pays and the cost of keeping people in prison. If anything the scheme will cost a lot more than the current one. So if the idea is to save money, its daft...

I havn't been in trouble since 1999, that is 13 years ago and the trouble I did get in was for retaliating, I was never the aggressor.

I'm now 39yrs old with 2 kids but at the time of my last offence I was 26yrs old and single and I have not been in trouble for 13 years and no I'm not saying any employer shouldn't consider this but the truth is when you mention you have a record your chances are out of the window.

My qualifications are=

Class 2 hgv licence from 2006

Fork lift licence from 2010

C&G Joinery from 1990

C&G Motorcycle maintanence level 1 and 2 from 2007

BICS Industrial cleaning level 1,2, and 3 from 1994

CLAIT (It) from 2000

I have been unemployed for 2mths since selling my share of a failing business and have applied for over 100 jobs, I have not had a single reply and the jobcentre just treat you like **** so I signed of 3wks ago.

There have been times when I have thought that 13yrs out of trouble is a long time yet this society never lets you forget and puts up barriers etc etc.

I'm telling you as an ex con that the more barriers ex cons face the more likely they will go on to re offend.

Prisoners have done their punishment when released yet no one gives them a job and then when they re offend the non criminals bleat about how they should work like everyone else etc but how can they if no one gives them a chance.

I'm starting my own property maintanance company soon and Im fortunate that I have money to do this but I understand why many criminals end up re offending as when they come out they have no jobs, no prospects, no money and the stigma of being an ex con.

i know we dont see eye to eye but what you say is correct . i wish you well in your new venture and hope you make a success of it good luck:thumbsup:

i know we dont see eye to eye but what you say is correct . i wish you well in your new venture and hope you make a success of it good luck:thumbsup:

Thanks for that fella. :thumbsup:

I accept that it could possibly become a condition on a release licence. But that is not the same as a sentence being extended with a workfare placement.

If I was a prisoner and I had an 'alternative' income stream I would not be even claiming JSA if there was a risk of being sent to work for nowt.

So you think people who can't control their temper should be mandated into compulsory work placements. How would you feel if potentially violent ex-prisoners were forced into your workplace?

The workplace is the one who decides... Grow up!

Archived