50 years ago today the dangers of smoking & cancer were shown to the public

How times have changed. In 1962 70% of men smoked. Now it is 21%.

What will the situation be in another 50 years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17264442

Prof John Britton, chair of the the present day RCP's tobacco advisory group and director of the UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, says the 1962 report has had a lasting legacy.

"Modern tobacco control policy as promoted by the World Health Organisation and used internationally, is really based on recommendations that are in that report.

"So 50 years later we're still, in many countries in the world, just starting to deal with recommendations that were made there.

"It really set the scene for effective tobacco policy and led the world."

The landscape changed profoundly and relatively quickly.

In 1965, cigarette advertising on television was banned in the UK while in 1971 health warnings appeared on cigarette packets.

Further restrictions followed, culminating in the ban on smoking in enclosed public places like bars, pubs and restaurants, introduced in 2006 in Scotland and the following year in the rest of the UK.

radio sheffield have been battering this topic to death all morning, its about time cig companies had to pay for the NHS treatment suffered by their clients.

One wonders how many people tobacco has killed over the last 150 years? Probably more than all the wars fought over the same period.

It's his choice to smoke, he's being forced to stand in the cold to do it, that's not through choice. He could choose to not have the cigarette and so avoid the cold however but in many cases the need for the ciggie outweighs any discomfort in which case he is choosing to be cold in order to satiate the desire to smoke.

Indeed. As I said; your choice.
You said it was my choice to stand outside. I didn't choose to do that often when I did actually have that choice. Now I have to stand outside, because of some people who are not even in the building I have to stand outside of

You said it was my choice to stand outside.

It is, fundamentally so. It is your choice to stand outside. No amount of rephrasing can negate that fact.

Your choice is: smoke outdoors, or don't smoke. That is where your choice has been limited.

Archived