The National Work Service?

Would a national work service be a good idea?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would a national work service be a good idea?

• Yes, I like the idea
    • Hmm, not sure
    • No, I don't like the idea

Labour intensive manufacturing that is profitable at around the £2 an hour mark .

Listen mate,

I'm on your side and have worked in and seen the inside of loads of factories and done some heavy duty metalbashing in my time.

I still do not understand what specific work you are going to invent to occupy these fellows.

Listen mate,

I'm on your side and have worked in and seen the inside of loads of factories and done some heavy duty metalbashing in my time.

I still do not understand what specific work you are going to invent to occupy these fellows.

Shoes, clothes, other stuff we import where the labour rate is around £2 an hour. Other countries make a profit doing this with shipping to UK on top.

The Torys are lower than snakes bellies. .....

Most tories are sensible people with a sensible approach to things, unfortunately the ones who become politicians are the high fliers that have little idea about what it is to be an average citizen.

Take out PM Cameron. He's a very bright boy who grew up in a millionaire household. His only experience of life is being so "clever" that

---

Due to good academic grades, Cameron entered its top academic class almost two years early. At the age of thirteen, he went to Eton College in Berkshire,
Then to Oxford University where he "passed" his degree with apparently little effort.---

He has cruised through life and achived sucess without much trouble.

How does his life experience prepare him for understanding what it is like to grow up in the north of england in a deprived city with no disposible income? Given the chance and the education, many people on here would have surpassed David Cameron's achievements I would like to think.

Shoes, clothes, other stuff we import where the labour rate is around £2 an hour. Other countries make a profit doing this with shipping to UK on top.

I suspect those countries that do that actually pay their workers more like £2 a week.

If you want to get rid of unemployment, create jobs that people are prepared to do without being coerced.

Pay people for working. Pay them in stamp scrip, beer vouchers, maybe even use £sterling!

We could copy Worgl.

We could reduce effective taxes so people ARE actually better of for working (thus giving them an incentive to work).

I'm not sure this is relevent to this thread, but there was a TV prog about workers in Thaiwan the other day, working in a clothing factory.

The jobs involved very long hours of very hard, laborious work, but were highly prized.

At the end of the day the female workers went home to a small concrete grotty box of a room half the size of an average garage, in which they cooked, lived and slept. They had very little money and little hope of improving their lives.

This was Victorian Britain all over again, before unions, phillanthropists and reforms.

This isn't right. We had to fight every foot of the way to achieve the improvements in working conditions and pay. None of it was given willingly by factory owners who made the same excuses as they do now. Thai workers should be doing the same.

Do we want to go back to these standards just to compete? How are people on £2 an hour expected to live in our economy with rents and food prices as they are? Or are they going to be subsidised with benefits bought with our taxes again?

I keep coming back to the same conclusion that it's the big manufacturers and corporations who have to be 'persuaded' to pay a proper minimum wage, or more taxes.

To coin a phrase, it's the 99% with falling living standards, who need to demand more from the super-rich and getting richer by the minute, 1%

I'm not sure this is relevent to this thread, but there was a TV prog about workers in Thaiwan the other day, working in a clothing factory.

The jobs involved very long hours of very hard, laborious work, but were highly prized.

At the end of the day the female workers went home to a small concrete grotty box of a room half the size of an average garage, in which they cooked, lived and slept. They had very little money and little hope of improving their lives.

This was Victorian Britain all over again, before unions, phillanthropists and reforms.

This isn't right. We had to fight every foot of the way to achieve the improvements in working conditions and pay. None of it was given willingly by factory owners who made the same excuses as they do now. Thai workers should be doing the same.

Do we want to go back to these standards just to compete? How are people on £2 an hour expected to live in our economy with rents and food prices as they are? Or are they going to be subsidised with benefits bought with our taxes again?

I keep coming back to the same conclusion that it's the big manufacturers and corporations who have to be 'persuaded' to pay a proper minimum wage, or more taxes.

To coin a phrase, it's the 99% with falling living standards, who need to demand more from the super-rich and getting richer by the minute, 1%

It's not relevant to this thread. This thread is about a proposed soluton to making unemployment a thing of the past by utilising existing taxpayers revenues in a far more efficient way.

It's not relevant to this thread. This thread is about a proposed soluton to making unemployment a thing of the past by utilising existing taxpayers revenues in a far more efficient way.

So could you live on £2 an hour? It would'nt even cover rent.

Archived