The National Work Service?

Would a national work service be a good idea?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would a national work service be a good idea?

• Yes, I like the idea
    • Hmm, not sure
    • No, I don't like the idea

Anna the unemployed are not mentalists, bit offended you compared them to middlewoods inmates.

My goodness! I had no intention of comparing the unemployed to mental patients! I'm shocked to think I could be interpreted that way. And also a bit offended at your assumption that middlewood patients are somehow less capable when the majority did as good a job as you or I could have done.

That was not my point at all.

I was trying to point out with a practical example that a great deal of time and money needs to be invested before you see any return, if at all.

We need real jobs.

Most tories are sensible people with a sensible approach to things, unfortunately the ones who become politicians are the high fliers that have little idea about what it is to be an average citizen.

Take out PM Cameron. He's a very bright boy who grew up in a millionaire household. His only experience of life is being so "clever" that

--- Then to Oxford University where he "passed" his degree with apparently little effort.---

He has cruised through life and achived sucess without much trouble.

How does his life experience prepare him for understanding what it is like to grow up in the north of england in a deprived city with no disposible income? Given the chance and the education, many people on here would have surpassed David Cameron's achievements I would like to think.

If Cameron is so bright he could earn far more elsewhere than in Parliament, unless of course he has a 'hidden agenda'............. Methinks he tries to pull the wool over peoples eyes...:suspect:

Many years ago I used to work at the old Middlewood Hospital. They created workshops for the inmates to manufacture simple things. They were paid a bit of pocket money and the goods were sold to create a bit of income for the hospital. The patients regarded it as a priviledge to work and work they did taking a real pride in it.

It hardly set the manufacturing world alight and was eventually abandoned as it failed to generate any money. It cost more to administrate than it made. So it was back to endless days on the wards for the patients.

Unless you can compete genuinely in a competative market you will fail.

Eventually the BRIC countries will rightly demand better working conditions and wages and the playing field will level out until we are all replaced largely by automation.

At that point let's hope we have a better way of sharing wealth or 90% of the World's population will be starving.

Too true, and capitalism dosent give two hoots.....

If Cameron is so bright he could earn far more elsewhere than in Parliament, unless of course he has a 'hidden agenda'............. Methinks he tries to pull the wool over peoples eyes...:suspect:

Of course he could earn far more doing something else. But prime ministers are more interested in their place in history. They want ten years as PM, then to enjoy real money making millions a year like Blair, Major and Brown, while they are still young enough to enjoy themselves.

Of course he could earn far more doing something else. But prime ministers are more interested in their place in history. They want ten years as PM, then to enjoy real money making millions a year like Blair, Major and Brown, while they are still young enough to enjoy themselves.

Maggie Thatcher certainly got her place in history........alongside Hitler and Stalin.......:hihi:

Archived