Very Relaxed Poker School

Hello!

We are a fledgling poker school looking for a few more members so we can reliably get five or more people together on a regular and reasonably frequent basis.

Whilst we play Hold 'Em now and again, we like to play a variety of games, Stud, Draw, Mexican etc. We play for a fixed buy in, £5 - and play to agreed time limits before cashing in. So these aren't winner take all games, and an evening of heavy losses won't break the bank. We play for the poker, the fun and the banter, rather than the winnings.

We like to meet up on a fairly regular basis in southwestern Sheffield and we'd like to build the school up a bit so we can be sure of five or more players for every game. Guests are always welcome, and whilst we're (predictably) all men, we're not unreconstructed boors and women are equally welcome.

Fancy coming along to try us out? - you might love it! PM me!

Bridge is tough to start with, I never really got into it. Bizarrely, I did live on Acol Road in West Hampstead for a bit though.

But the main disadvantage is you always need exactly 4 players. With poker, you can get 10 people playing.

What area you in, and what time do you usually go on until?

This one will be near Napoleons (not in it!) on Eccy Road.

We will play to whatever times best suit the players, but we usually break up at around 11pm - midnight with an 8pm start.

I might be interested in playing poker with you, I play a fair bit and know a few people in your area that do. A £5 buy in for a hold'em game is a bit cheap for me, I wouldn't take the game massively seriously, but it might be fun. I would be extremely interested if you played an Omaha game, as those games are hard to find.

It's not Hold 'em with tournament rules. It's never that!

Usually we'll buy in for £5 and play, then cash in at the alloted hour. Whatever chips you have left by the rubicon, you can exchange for cash before you leave. A lot of the time, most people are either a pound or two up, or a pound or two down.

We'll have a few rounds of 5 stud with a stripped deck, then maybe a few rounds of Mexican stud, followed by 7 card stud, followed by draw poker, maybe a single deal of Indian poker. If you're not taking things seriously, then Indian poker might be your game!

Lame Brains, Hold 'em or Omaha are usually only used if the betting is a little lacklustre. We play pot limits, and unless specified by the dealer (who gets to decide on the ante and variant hands) no blinds.

As I said in the OP, we're not playing for the winnings, although £3 up is a good night, but we play for the cards, the banter and the fun of it. We don't play for four hours just so one person can go home with everyone else's money! If that's the way it pans out in play then fine, but "all in" betting 'strategies' aren't very common.

Five card stud with a stripped deck is a favourite (well it's my favourite), betting is opened by the highest hand showing, and in a game with 6 players, only 2 cards are out of play, and only 12 are hidden - leaving 18 in plain view of everyone else. Also the odds are much more straightforward to calculate as a result, because each player is dealt 5 cards and there's no spit. Bluffing in 5 card stud is a very different kettle of fish to bluffing in Texas Hold 'em.

The response has been pretty good, but there's a place at the table left! Sunday night, 8pm - midnight (or agreed time). I can pick up from most of SW sheffield, and drop off if needed.

There will be drinking and smoking.

It just gets boring playing the same variant the whole time, when there's a world of poker out there.

--

This is the book that inspired me to play poker regularly all those aeons ago - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Poker-Ros-Henry/dp/0330289896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331436815&sr=8-1

Only a few quid, well worth the money. I've just been trying to dig out my copy and it's nowhere. Just the thing for getting back into it.

Archived