Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has been to Butlers since it moved down the road the other week. I drove past and it looked nice bright and trendy inside. If somebody has could they let me know if they have got a new menu and what it is like.

Cheers

The menu was exactly the same as the old one, which isn't a bad thing.

Food tasted the same.

Inside it is more upmarket and trendy.

The main thing that will put me off going in the future is that it's a bit too quiet where it's located. At the old place we used to just walk up to the roundabout and flag a taxi down, but in the new place very few taxis go past.

Regards

Doom

Went on wednesday night after a gig it was quiet but the venue is nice much better restaurant though they could probably take a few tables out certainly mid week!

Starters were excellent as was service but the main was a bit of a let down we ordered the special jalfrezi and though the fish and meat in it was great the sauce was more madras so though i will be back i will back onthe balti next time. My starter was chicken chatt and my mate had lamb tika as i said they were oth great but neither of us rated the jalfrezi or certainly the sauce. Will try something else next time.

I went at the weekend and as a previous post said the menu and standard of the food are the same. Just as tasty and still presented in the cast iron karahi dish to keep your food nice and hot. The inside is a vast improvement nicely laid out good lighting and a comfy waiting area.

sheffandy the reason they moved is because the other place was only rented and the owner wanted to buy his own place, they are also going to change the upstairs area to a function room eventually. Another reason was due to the parking, just up the road from the new place is a car park that's free parking after 6.30pm.

• 2 months later...

We went last night. We weren't particularly impressed tbh.

It wasn't that the food was bad - just very bland.

We had 3 different starters, mixed platters for 2 of them, so we got to try a number of different things.

The chickent tikka was ok, the seek kebab wasn't very spicy and we had Fish pakora - which was just ordinary fish pieces in batter with NO spices whatsoever! :huh: The onion bhaji was ok - but again, hardly any spicing to it - just a flat circular yellow mix on the plate. The salad that came with it was nice and fresh - but overall the starters were very disappointing really.

We had balti dishes for main course - what else? We used to live near Birmingham at one time and we've eaten at all the famous Balti houses down there - they are the best in the country. When Butler's first opened in Sheffield we were pleased to see a Balti house at last in these parts - and I remember having a decent Balti at the old Butlers way back then.

To be fair, the Balti dishes were not bad but the sauce was really thick and gloopy and again, it didn't really taste of much. I'm not talking about how hot the spices were - I'm talking about the flavour rather than the heat.

We just felt it was a rather bland, unwhelming experience. And the place is heaving - it took over an hour for the starters to come.

I don't think we'll rush back.

Archived