Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

We had take away from there last night - the food is ok but we were told it would take 30 mins to be ready, instead it took 90! I won't be ordering from there again in a hurry.

Indeed - definitely do not order from them if you are in a hurry!

I picked up an order on Friday night. I arrived at about 9pm, around 40 minutes after we rang and 10 minutes after we had been told it would be ready.

On the phone we were told 30 minutes and also that the 10% takeaway discount would apply.

It was very busy with people waiting for tables (through overhead conversations it soon became apparent some of them had booked a table for 9pm) so it took a while to get attention from anyone who could help me. The order name was taken and I assumed as with most places they had gone to check to see if the order was ready. In the meantime I was pointed in the direction of one man who then added up the bill and asked for my money. He tried to charge me full price before I asked about the 10% discount again. They had a quick chat behind the bar and then took the 10% off.

I was told to take a seat and was waiting 10 minutes later when another man saw me and asked if I was being seen too. I explained I was picking up an order and he took my name again and off he went. I didn't see him again. In the meantime two other people had come in to pick up takeaways and again, they were waiting 15-20 minutes before their orders came out (these were orders they had rung ahead with as they did not give an order in person). They were soon looking equally annoyed as I was getting.

At the same time, at least two groups who had booked tables for 9pm were still waiting at about 9.30pm and were suitably annoyed. When speaking to the man in charge and telling him in not too uncertain terms that they were getting a bit miffed. All they got was a load b/s from the smarmy manager who clearly thinks he has the gift of the gab and is everyones friend. NEWSFLASH: I don't care whether you think you can wise-talk your way out of anything; get people seated and get takeaway orders made.

After 40 minutes and with 3-4 people awaiting orders the floor-staff finally went to the actual kitchen to see where the food was. By this time I had been asked for my name about 6-7 times by about 3-4 different people. When the barman who had gone to the kitchen finally returned he didn't even say anything to anyone until the man who had taken my money turned to him and said "well?" - The response? "I can't get anything out of them, it's stupid". And that was it. No real information or any sign of anyone's food.

Finally, about 50 minutes after I'd arrived and a full 1hr30mins after we had rung in our order, the food finally arrived, delivered by the manager, and had I not stopped and made my point I would have been ushered out of the door without so much as an apology. Thankfully, they had riled me so much I had it in me to point out with a very loud voice that I don't appreciate being lied to on the phone or having to wait so long without any coordinated efforts to update me on why it was taking so long. Clearly, no one knew what was going on. Several people in the waiting area would have heard me but given some of them were still waiting for 9pm tables, I doubt many of them had much sympathy for the manager.

He told me to email them and they would sort out some vouchers but I wanted something back there and then because by that time I had already made a pretty firm decision not to go back there again. The food was pretty average as well so even though I will email them to let them know about these comments on Sheffield Forum, I'm unlikely to use any vouchers they give me.

Long story short: A long wait for average food and poor service.

7 Spices, just around the corner. The food is at least as good if not better and is ready for collection within a lifetime.

They say on their leaflets that word of mouth is the foundation of their success. They may need to rethink their business plan.

The food used to be variable in the old butlers - sometimes "meh" and sometimes excellent. When it was excellent it was probably my favourite curry of all.

I went a couple of weeks ago for the first time to the new location. The food was up there with the excellent old days.

But I hate the new restaurant. It's far too big, it was packed to the rafters (very very crowded in the bar area) and the service was absolutely shocking.

They even forgot what we'd ordered, luckily we're honest and recounted everything, over 100 quids worth of food.

Well, I say everything - once we'd finished listing what we'd had (took a while - it was a bit like the conveyor belt round in the generation game), someone rushed out with a ticket - they'd found our bill.

We'd forgotten we'd had four poppadoms and they acted as if we were trying to get away with not paying for it.

The Cobra tasted suspiciously like Carling.

They didn't get a tip, and I won't be back.

Archived