Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

After reading all comments I thought I would go and see for my self what all massive raves are about. Ten of us went down to try butlers today, when we first went in we thought we might be the only ones but no there were packed out. As we got in we were asked if we had a booking we said yes, gave name and were taken straight to our table, so I asked the waiter why is everyone else waiting he said they have not got booking so we get the booked customers priority. We we pleased to hear that. As we sat down we were served drinks and Polaroid straight away. After ten minutes of being there we ordered out food. out starters were out within 15 minutes and main course followed straight after that.

Our favourite was always seven spices and Rajpoot but butlers won our hearts, absolutely amazing food and service to say it was packed we were served straight away. I was a bit scared after reading all the comments from forum readers but not now we will be back there soon.

Sometimes people exaggerate things! Why would someone wait hour half for food, I would walk out. Good friendly service. This is a restaurant not fast food. Highly recommend it. The baruchi is very good dish and noon baaji amazing round like burgers.

WOW!! What a perfect experience! It almost seems too perfect to be true!!

Just to clarify, when I was in there all the groups waiting for tables claimed to have booked. They weren't getting such an 'amazing' experience for having booked ahead.

I waited an hour and a half because I had already paid. Why would I walk out and get nothing for my money? I didn't ask for my money back because I was hungry and figured this would still be quicker than waiting for a refund and going elsewhere.

Thanks for your post 'quincy small'. When's your next shift?

It's a weird balance... no-one wants to eat in a place that's dead, that's really uncomfortable. As soon as a place gets packed (usually due to a good rep.) it swings the other way... crowded, noisy, slow service etc. ...and then people start to turn off, saying they'll never go back because of the bad experience.

I'm sure no restaurant, even if packed at the time, would want to turn the next party of 10 or 15 away from their doors (and suggest a competitor?) so if you can keep them in the waiting area, having a few drinks, that's what's gonna happen.

I would also suspect (although I have no evidence to support this) that the odd takeaway order is going to be quite far down the stack of priorities and may be shuffled further down as things happen... most takeaways will be £20 max. and the people in the restaurant will be spending close to that just on lager.

I'm sure there's a moral to the story... it sounds as if we would all like our restaurants to be successful, but not too successful, as that will then spoil our enjoyment of it.

Hippo

hi just want to share my views and experience i had in there last week.

Butlers Balti House always been our favourite we got put off from last place because it had no parking so we always got takeaways from there. Finally 6 of us went last week entered the new place wow! what an amazing fit out, felt like walking into a palace. I have to give it it is the most best looking Restaurant in sheffield now. Cause we had no booking we had to wait for half hour for a table cause it was really busy. We had a Chicken Liver for Tandoori Fish for starters how amazing so nice. The Mains as usual Baruchi and new on the bone Lamb Chop Masala and other dishes, got to say we were quiete worried when we first went in, how long we might be waiting for, Butlers Serevice was amazing from start to the end.

We will be there very soon.

finally went to butlerd to try it out absolutely packed

amazing quick setvice to say it was packed. good service nice food definately the best looking restaurant in sheffield. I read someone saying taking tables out they need more tables. i think they have settled in and are running the show well. Recommend to any one

well you would say that seen as you are the owner or someone posing as the owner as your user name is the owners name :hihi:

hi just want to share my views and experience i had in there last week.

Butlers Balti House always been our favourite we got put off from last place because it had no parking so we always got takeaways from there. Finally 6 of us went last week entered the new place wow! what an amazing fit out, felt like walking into a palace. I have to give it it is the most best looking Restaurant in sheffield now. Cause we had no booking we had to wait for half hour for a table cause it was really busy. We had a Chicken Liver for Tandoori Fish for starters how amazing so nice. The Mains as usual Baruchi and new on the bone Lamb Chop Masala and other dishes, got to say we were quiete worried when we first went in, how long we might be waiting for, Butlers Serevice was amazing from start to the end.

We will be there very soon.

14 posts and over 50% of them are about butlers balti house, not bad to say you have only been in once! ;)

It's a weird balance... no-one wants to eat in a place that's dead, that's really uncomfortable. As soon as a place gets packed (usually due to a good rep.) it swings the other way... crowded, noisy, slow service etc. ...and then people start to turn off, saying they'll never go back because of the bad experience.

I'm sure no restaurant, even if packed at the time, would want to turn the next party of 10 or 15 away from their doors (and suggest a competitor?) so if you can keep them in the waiting area, having a few drinks, that's what's gonna happen.

I would also suspect (although I have no evidence to support this) that the odd takeaway order is going to be quite far down the stack of priorities and may be shuffled further down as things happen... most takeaways will be £20 max. and the people in the restaurant will be spending close to that just on lager.

I'm sure there's a moral to the story... it sounds as if we would all like our restaurants to be successful, but not too successful, as that will then spoil our enjoyment of it.

Hippo

What on earth are you on about? I can think of loads of Restaurants which get extremely busy but use something called 'organisation' to ensure everyone gets seen to.

can I ask you a question - do you have no view on the fact that I was told to come down to collect my order in 30 minutes - but was still waiting 50 minutes after I arrived (1hr20m + after I rang)? Does that sound like acceptable service to you, busy or otherwise?

Butlers is packed out every weekend , thats the best recommendation anyone can give a place.

This potentially true; certainly they get a lot of people in there each week. How much is returning business, i.e. people coming for 2nd, 3rd etc visits, I am not sure. But none of this excuses the 'service' I and the other 25 or so people endured as we waited for our takeaways/tables.

Look, all the best to Butlers. The food was OK and I'm sure any other quieter night the service is ok but I personally saw a level service below that which I think was reasonable (and that is taking in to account how busy they were) so it's only fair I come on here and tell people that. You're quick to allow people to pass on positive feedback. If you were as quick to take on board what I am saying and actually look in to how those issues occured and what you can do to rectify them then it may end up being more productive than ignoring my comments.

This potentially true; certainly they get a lot of people in there each week. How much is returning business, i.e. people coming for 2nd, 3rd etc visits, I am not sure. But none of this excuses the 'service' I and the other 25 or so people endured as we waited for our takeaways/tables.

Look, all the best to Butlers. The food was OK and I'm sure any other quieter night the service is ok but I personally saw a level service below that which I think was reasonable (and that is taking in to account how busy they were) so it's only fair I come on here and tell people that. You're quick to allow people to pass on positive feedback. If you were as quick to take on board what I am saying and actually look in to how those issues occured and what you can do to rectify them then it may end up being more productive than ignoring my comments.

I am saddened to read of your experience at Butler's. For the last 8 or 9 years that place (or the old one, at least) has been like a second home to me. I have eaten there, worked there, enjoyed the kindness and generosity of the owner and staff, and generally been made to feel one of the family.

Having said that, it is not my intention to play down or cast doubt on anything you have written in your posts - I am merely being honest about my connections.

The majority of diners are regulars many of whom are on first name terms. I have always thought it admirable that the owner goes out of his way to talk to people and genuinely gets to know them. It would be nice if everything went to plan and staff had plenty of time to sort out any problems that may arise. They can't always get it spot on, but I can tell you from experience that the guys in there bust a gut night after night to ensure that customers leave the restaurant happy (as 99.9% do).

What happened to you was inexcusable and I'm sure the owner will have put measures in place to make sure it never happens again, but it would be a shame if you never went back because of it. I'm not there anymore so cannot offer you anything except to reiterate what hippogriff said. Book a table at a less busy time and get a feel for the real Butler's.

Some of the best relationships start with a bust up.

Archived