Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

We went to Butlers on Christmas Eve. My son who lives in America asked to go there as he was craving a good curry and used to go to Butlers when he lived in Sheffield. We booked ahead two weeks before and were told we could have a table at 5.30, 7 or 9. So we booked for nine o clock. When we got there the place was virtually empty and looked to have been so for most of the evening. There were only two other tables occupied when we got there, though all the long tables were set ready. There was no atmosphere at all. The food was good though and we enjoyed it very much. The really strange thing was one of the waiters accent ! My son remembered him from the old Butlers and said he has a fairly strong Northern accent but when he was serving us he had acquired a VERY cut glass accent. Well over the top. My lad thought it was hilarious! My daughter works as a part time waitress and she says that if things get boring that they play games like that to make the other staff laugh , so maybe that's the reason !!

I am saddened to read of your experience at Butler's. For the last 8 or 9 years that place (or the old one, at least) has been like a second home to me. I have eaten there, worked there, enjoyed the kindness and generosity of the owner and staff, and generally been made to feel one of the family.

Having said that, it is not my intention to play down or cast doubt on anything you have written in your posts - I am merely being honest about my connections.

The majority of diners are regulars many of whom are on first name terms. I have always thought it admirable that the owner goes out of his way to talk to people and genuinely gets to know them. It would be nice if everything went to plan and staff had plenty of time to sort out any problems that may arise. They can't always get it spot on, but I can tell you from experience that the guys in there bust a gut night after night to ensure that customers leave the restaurant happy (as 99.9% do).

What happened to you was inexcusable and I'm sure the owner will have put measures in place to make sure it never happens again, but it would be a shame if you never went back because of it. I'm not there anymore so cannot offer you anything except to reiterate what hippogriff said. Book a table at a less busy time and get a feel for the real Butler's.

Some of the best relationships start with a bust up.

Thank you for your post, you seem genuine and I don't doubt I perhaps caught it on a bad day.

I will not be going back soon but in the future I may well give it another chance.

can I ask you a question - do you have no view on the fact that I was told to come down to collect my order in 30 minutes - but was still waiting 50 minutes after I arrived (1hr20m + after I rang)? Does that sound like acceptable service to you, busy or otherwise?

AndrewC, I did give you my view on this, way back on the 21st - I said that it sounded like an awful experience, but I could not believe it was typical. Therefore I didn't believe it was worth analysing any further.

If you're wondering why I haven't given you a view, then it seems that you're not reading the feedback, or don't pay attention to what you might not want to hear.

I think people have suggested that you give it another shot at a different time, just to get a different perspective - but it seems you're not open to that idea. Instead, I think you'd prefer to revel in your one bad experience and I don't think you will venture back; even though you do leave the door slightly ajar. The lack of your custom is a small loss to Butlers, I would suggest.

Hippo

AndrewC, I did give you my view on this, way back on the 21st - I said that it sounded like an awful experience, but I could not believe it was typical. Therefore I didn't believe it was worth analysing any further.

If you're wondering why I haven't given you a view, then it seems that you're not reading the feedback, or don't pay attention to what you might not want to hear.

Calm down; I did read your comment back on the 21st but as you suggest, it was a while ago. My question was largely rhetorical since I would guess the answer is pretty obvious. I was just trying to highlight my point.

I think people have suggested that you give it another shot at a different time, just to get a different perspective - but it seems you're not open to that idea. Instead, I think you'd prefer to revel in your one bad experience and I don't think you will venture back; even though you do leave the door slightly ajar.

Please don't try to make out I'm some kind of villain or that I want to 'revel' in a bad experience. I would think it's pretty standard behaviour for someone who has experienced bad customer service that they won't go back for a while. It's not a vendetta - it's a practical choice; I've already mentioned I don't live round that part of town so my trips to curry houses in the area are rare. Further to that, there are some round there we haven't tried before or have tried and liked. We'll probably visit them once or twice before we go back to Butlers. Ergo, we won't be going back to Butlers for a while...

The lack of your custom is a small loss to Butlers, I would suggest.

Very true and so long as the service given to me and the others there that night was a one-off they'll be fine. I'm sure they will be. Best of luck to them :)

I love Butlers, been going there for years & I think the new place is great! Just a tip - if they say they are too busy to accommodate you, tell them OK no problem I'll go to the 7 Spices instead ;) Generally this tactic works a treat in my experience!

I love Butlers, been going there for years & I think the new place is great! Just a tip - if they say they are too busy to accommodate you, tell them OK no problem I'll go to the 7 Spices instead ;) Generally this tactic works a treat in my experience!

What do you do when they tell you "30 minutes" (and you even offer to come down in 40 but they insist it will be done in 30)? Stick with Butlers I'll bet.

Now imagine how annoying it is when you then have to wait over an hour and a half :(

Archived