Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

Went last weekend, AMAZING :love:

Beautiful food, great staff such a laugh, nice wine only downside was the place was boiling! staff quick to sort that out though when we asked and got the windows open,

Packed out and people waiting for tables so throughly recommend it!

Its moved and is just up the road from the Fire Museum cant think what this road is called now... anyone?

Broad Lane, just down from the university roundabout and jessops hospital. I have not yet been to the new restaurant, but i can highly recommend the food and the staff ! Saj the owner always on hand to meet and greet. Had many a works get together in here over the years. Will definitely be going soon!

What did you have? Most of their food seems to be the same generic excuse for curry as all the other places!

That's what I thought. We had take away once and everything was incredibly bland. All the dishes tasted the same too. But loads of people rave about it... should I give it another go?

That's what I thought. We had take away once and everything was incredibly bland. All the dishes tasted the same too. But loads of people rave about it... should I give it another go?

I think you have a discerning palate Claret (ooh! does that rhyme?). :) Seriously, I mean that. You obviously know your stuff when it comes to eating out and you've reviewed a lot of places which I've personally found very interesting to read about - and I think that there aren't so many people really who come into the same category on this board.

That doesn't mean that other people's opinions aren't valid - they are just as valid - but they don't necessarily have the breadth of experiences to make such an objective judgment.

I went to Butler's when if first opened opposite Jessops - that's going back a long, long time now. Mid 1990's I suspect. We'd just moved back here from living near Birmingham, where we used to go regularly for Balti's. "Balti" wasn't even heard of in Sheffield I don't think, until Butler's opened their place and I thought it was a decent attempt at a Balti that they put on there. Nowhere near the quality of those places in Sparkbrook Birmingham, but one of the first in Sheffield and not bad to be fair.

I didn't go there regularly because I don't like going to grotty, grubby little places much - which that was.

A few weeks ago we went to the new Butler's. The place itself is ok - bit plain and stark inside, bit like a big dining room really, but a massive improvement on the old place.

The food was very ordinary to be honest. Nothing wrong with it - just very, very bland. We had some tandoori starters and they didn't taste of any spice at all - just pink with the tandoori mix - but no deep rich spicy flavours to them. And same with the curry. It was ok - but very ordinary bordering on bland.

There are FAR better places to go for a curry than this - but it's popular and good luck to them.

I've been to Butlers many times over the years and never had a problem with the food, although I agree about the toilets, they certainly weren't trhe best at the old place.

I'm very much a beer down the neck and then finish off with an Indian person, therefore I doubt I'm the best qualified to talk about the actually quality of the food.

From my experience Butlers serves a purpose. The food tastes decent enough after 6 Jaipurs and the price is/was probably the best of any city centre restaurant.

Over the years I think I've probably eaten in nearly all of the city centre Indians past and present (Wicker/Spital Hill area being the exception) and I can't really remember any that I've woken up the next morning and thought 'WOW', although some I have really enjoyed. The ones I usually remember are those that have been particularly bad, like the one that used to be down a side street off West Street.

Interestingly enough in the Summer me and my mate ended up in the Shapla. He wasn't feeling too good and the food took an age to be served, so he left before it arrived. I took the food home in a bag that night and ate it the following Evening pre alcohol....It was gorgeous......Maybe there's a moral in there somewhere.

Regards

Doom

I think you have a discerning palate Claret (ooh! does that rhyme?). :) Seriously, I mean that. You obviously know your stuff when it comes to eating out and you've reviewed a lot of places which I've personally found very interesting to read about - and I think that there aren't so many people really who come into the same category on this board.

That doesn't mean that other people's opinions aren't valid - they are just as valid - but they don't necessarily have the breadth of experiences to make such an objective judgment.

I went to Butler's when if first opened opposite Jessops - that's going back a long, long time now. Mid 1990's I suspect. We'd just moved back here from living near Birmingham, where we used to go regularly for Balti's. "Balti" wasn't even heard of in Sheffield I don't think, until Butler's opened their place and I thought it was a decent attempt at a Balti that they put on there. Nowhere near the quality of those places in Sparkbrook Birmingham, but one of the first in Sheffield and not bad to be fair.

I didn't go there regularly because I don't like going to grotty, grubby little places much - which that was.

A few weeks ago we went to the new Butler's. The place itself is ok - bit plain and stark inside, bit like a big dining room really, but a massive improvement on the old place.

The food was very ordinary to be honest. Nothing wrong with it - just very, very bland. We had some tandoori starters and they didn't taste of any spice at all - just pink with the tandoori mix - but no deep rich spicy flavours to them. And same with the curry. It was ok - but very ordinary bordering on bland.

There are FAR better places to go for a curry than this - but it's popular and good luck to them.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the reviews! There will be more to come....

As for Butler's, I think I'll give it a miss and stick to my current favourite (7 spices)!

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the reviews! There will be more to come....

As for Butler's, I think I'll give it a miss and stick to my current favourite (7 spices)!

You really must try the Chaman sometime - the offal curries should tickle your fancy. There's brains, liver and kidney on the menu (not literally) and some other stuff I haven't quite worked out, possibly marrow bones.

At the 7 Spices, the Massallam dishes are highly recommended. I used to have a group of friends in a 'curry club' and we persuaded the then manager to extend the massallam method first to duck and then fish (salmon) after trying the leg of lamb and chicken. I see that they are still on the menu today although I don't think the manager's mother's special green sauce recipe is still being used. Happy Days!

Archived