Butlers Balti House

Lawtz

I went to Butler's when if first opened opposite Jessops - that's going back a long, long time now. Mid 1990's I suspect. We'd just moved back here from living near Birmingham, where we used to go regularly for Balti's. "Balti" wasn't even heard of in Sheffield I don't think, until Butler's opened their place and I thought it was a decent attempt at a Balti that they put on there. Nowhere near the quality of those places in Sparkbrook Birmingham, but one of the first in Sheffield and not bad to be fair.

Nonsense. There was Balti to be had in Sheff before Butler's changed from a Pie Rooms to a generic curry restaurant (at the Himalaya on Convent Walk, for instance), although little of it was any good.

The food I had in Butler's was never anything like the food I had in Brum (pre-1985); those curries were always quite dry whereas most Butler's stuff was made with a lot of sloppy sauce.

That's what I thought. We had take away once and everything was incredibly bland. All the dishes tasted the same too. But loads of people rave about it... should I give it another go?

Clare did you see our Barretts lunch deal for a tenner. Ends tomorrow if you wanted to go back and try! Oh and another foodie one tomorrow. I know you lurve your food! :)

As for Butler's, I think I'll give it a miss and stick to my current favourite (7 spices)!

I've not been there for a couple of years, I will have to give it a try in the Summer when I've been for a few beers down the Kelham Island way.

7 Spices has always been a funny one, because they seem to change owners quite a bit and the quality of the food and the establishment seems to fluctuate.

When it first opened I believe Alvin Kalicharran (West Indian Cricketer) was part owner and the food was really good.

After a few years though the standards seem to slip and the place itself got a bit tired with tiles missing off the walls and food quality not so good. I stopped going and didn't try it again for a year or two, but when I did go back it was fantastic again......Then it started to slip.....and so the cycle has gone on ever since it opened about 20 years ago.

Regards

Doom

7 Spices has always been a funny one, because they seem to change owners quite a bit and the quality of the food and the establishment seems to fluctuate.

When it first opened I believe Alvin Kalicharran (West Indian Cricketer) was part owner and the food was really good.

After a few years though the standards seem to slip and the place itself got a bit tired with tiles missing off the walls and food quality not so good. I stopped going and didn't try it again for a year or two, but when I did go back it was fantastic again......Then it started to slip.....and so the cycle has gone on ever since it opened about 20 years ago.

Doom, you must have been going to 7 Spices for as long as me. The place actually closed for a couple of years at one point, then re-opened better than before. The guy who ran it day-to-day after it re-opened was an Indian although I think most of the staff were Pakistani, I can't remember his name now but it was a sad day when he left to run a restaurant near Matlock - he put some interesting dishes on the menu and was always willing to try new stuff out, A man who enjoyed food!

We thought that it must have been a money-laundering operation at one stage because it was always so quiet. There was a rather violent confrontation one night as well that seemed to be about money. Always an interesting place!

That's what I thought. We had take away once and everything was incredibly bland. All the dishes tasted the same too. But loads of people rave about it... should I give it another go?

I've got friends who really rate it too, but I've had take away from there a couple of times and found it very average, at best. Said friends tell me that this is because I had take away rather than eat in, but it surely shouldn't be so dramatically different.

Indian food in Sheffield just seems to be so inconsistent, places I've loved seem to go bland or bad overnight. I've really enjoyed Kashmiri Aroma over the last few months but then went there a couple of weeks ago and found it very "blah" apart from some great bread

Don't bother!

Have you been to Mogul Rooms recently? I had some food a while back that was really nice, it actually tasted like they had just made it recently! Someone has since said it has been taken over and I did see a couple of bad reports so was slightly wary about going back?

I've got friends who really rate it too, but I've had take away from there a couple of times and found it very average, at best. Said friends tell me that this is because I had take away rather than eat in, but it surely shouldn't be so dramatically different.

Indian food in Sheffield just seems to be so inconsistent, places I've loved seem to go bland or bad overnight. I've really enjoyed Kashmiri Aroma over the last few months but then went there a couple of weeks ago and found it very "blah" apart from some great bread

I think the people that like these places are the ones that never cook curry themselves, or if they do it's from a jar. They just don't realise that what they are eating is tasteless crap! I can't remember the last time I ate a curry out that was really good.

I think the people that like these places are the ones that never cook curry themselves, or if they do it's from a jar. They just don't realise that what they are eating is tasteless crap! I can't remember the last time I ate a curry out that was really good.

I was really liking Kashmiri Aroma for a while but wasn't impressed at my last visit, I went through a phase of liking Rhaduni but have started to find them a bit samey, I feel a bit stuck on the Indian food front. I really should investigate the Sri Lankan/Indian places.

(Unfortunately I am also one of those people who never cooks a curry myself because I've never ever made one I've been pleased with, so I've sort of given up)

Dhanistas on London road is still great. Share a Masala Dosa as a starter and have a king fish curry and something else to share as mains. I really should go back, I just keep forgetting about the place! SO Yes, I can remember the last time I had good food, it was when I went there.

:)

Archived