Should forced marriages be banned?

Should forced marriages be banned?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should forced marriages be banned?

• Yes
    • No

To me they seem abusive but I'm not religious or that cultured so I probably don't truly know everything involved, and unlike most other folk on here I do understand that forced marriages is a strong traditional trait amongst the advanced cultures and religious structures here in the UK.

So should a so called civilised society such as the UK tolerate forced marriasges, or should the UK tolerate other cultures and their traditional ways of life and carry on allowing forced marriages ?

I guess, but if they're arranged by someone else without either persons consent then they're still forced?

Shouldn't you actually have thought about this a bit before you started a thread about it? Y'know, save you looking a bit lacking in understanding at least the basics and a little less like a not very well disguised standard issue slur?

Shouldn't you actually have thought about this a bit before you started a thread about it? Y'know, save you looking a bit lacking in understanding at least the basics and a little less like a not very well disguised standard issue slur?

The first thing i stated is that i don't know all the finer details and how it seems to me, and that ignorant folk on here will like yourself will be ready to have a pop at others who are 'different'

The first thing i stated is that i don't know all the finer details and how it seems to me, and that ignorant folk on here will like yourself will be ready to have a pop at others who are 'different'

Nor apparently, some of the the really obvious major facts.

Do you feel you're 'different' in some way?

Nor apparently, some of the the really obvious major facts.

Do you feel you're 'different' in some way?

Enlighten me, are arranged marriages agreed by the couple in question or they orchestrated by others? You're the one who thinks they're different and superior because I stated I don't know all the finer details, so tell us all?

Forced marriages are already illegal, although that is no guarantee that they aren't happening, of course, like any other crime. Arranged marriages are agreed by the couple who enter into them and are perfectly legal.

It is hard to quantify what proportion of people agree because they feel obliged and what proportion genuinely feel that it is a positive thing to do, for whatever personal or cultural reasons though.

Voting so far is 5-1 in favour of banning.....

As always on SF some have to "have a go at the OP"

The question is simple enough.

"Arranged" or "Forced" ....these marriages happen.

Marriage should be (in a civilised society) the union between two people who truly love each other.

Enlighten me, are arranged marriages agreed by the couple in question or they orchestrated by others? You're the one who thinks they're different and superior because I stated I don't know all the finer details, so tell us all?

Agreed by the couple having been been suggested and introduced to each other by their parents is usually how it goes.

Archived