Should forced marriages be banned?

Should forced marriages be banned?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should forced marriages be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Voting so far is 5-1 in favour of banning.....

As always on SF some have to "have a go at the OP"

The question is simple enough.

"Arranged" or "Forced" ....these marriages happen.

Marriage should be (in a civilised society) the union between two people who truly love each other.

What about two people that get on with each other a lot? Would you instigate a 'true love' test?

Yes they do and they're not banned, read the link in post 32

I did & you're wrong, as your own link proves... I thought you might have read the article you linked since, but obviously not.

At the moment, legislation surrounding forced marriage is civil, not criminal. The Forced Marriage Act 2007 finally allowed courts to issue forced marriage protection orders when a victim, friend or local authority raises the alarm. A breach of such an order can result in up to two years imprisonment.

I did & you're wrong, as your own link proves... I thought you might have read the article you linked since, but obviously not.

Civil isn't outlawed (not fully banned or criminal like murder) and certainly not enforced as the article shows.

• 2 months later...
To me they seem abusive but I'm not religious or that cultured so I probably don't truly know everything involved, and unlike most other folk on here I do understand that forced marriages is a strong traditional trait amongst the advanced cultures and religious structures here in the UK.

So should a so called civilised society such as the UK tolerate forced marriasges, or should the UK tolerate other cultures and their traditional ways of life and carry on allowing forced marriages ?

Seems at long long last somthing will be done, however will be about as much use as the FGM laws.

Geen Web, not many people think forced marriages are acceptable, that's why they have been banned for many years. What is the point in bumping this failure of a thread?

Maybe, like many on here seem to prove, there are many who are confusing "Forced" marriage with "Arranged" marriage.

Forced marriages are banned.

Do you mean arranged marriage?

Not according to yesterday’s news.

Friday 8 June 2012

Forced marriage to become criminal offence, David Cameron confirms

Forcing someone to marry is to become a criminal offence in England and Wales, leaving parents who coerce their children into a marriage facing the prospect of prison, David Cameron has confirmed.

Archived