Should forced marriages be banned?

Should forced marriages be banned?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should forced marriages be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Well it all depends on how one interprets forced into marriage.

Did I ask her to get pregnant? Would she have an abortion...NO!

Was I asked if I wanted it...No!

It was a mistake, the pregnancy that is, not the sex.

Did her and my parents have a say.....You bet they did.

Was I young and impressionable at the time, well I was impressed by her, and I was young, and not sure it was mine, how do I know what she did when I was with my mates....

Did I have DNA, no...as it would have taken the doubt out of the resentment.

Has it cost me over the years...You bet...The most expensive sex I have ever had.

Is it up to a woman to take precautions...yes it is

Why..because when I am ****** or stoned I cannot do my shoe laces up, never mind get dressed in rubber. Was not a boy scout, and therefore only prepared for pleasure, and anyway was incapable of thinking of the future.

Did it teach me anything...yes..not responsible when it comes to having a good time.

Was the marriage forced, Yes it was, as the consequences of not marrying seemed even worse.

Well it all depends on how one interprets forced into marriage.

Did I ask her to get pregnant? Would she have an abortion...NO!

Was I asked if I wanted it...No!

It was a mistake, the pregnancy that is, not the sex.

Did her and my parents have a say.....You bet they did.

Was I young and impressionable at the time, well I was impressed by her, and I was young, and not sure it was mine, how do I know what she did when I was with my mates....

Did I have DNA, no...as it would have taken the doubt out of the resentment.

Has it cost me over the years...You bet...The most expensive sex I have ever had.

Is it up to a woman to take precautions...yes it is

Why..because when I am ****** or stoned I cannot do my shoe laces up, never mind get dressed in rubber. Was not a boy scout, and therefore only prepared for pleasure, and anyway was incapable of thinking of the future.

Did it teach me anything...yes..not responsible when it comes to having a good time.

Was the marriage forced, Yes it was, as the consequences of not marrying seemed even worse.

You would have to prove it was forced to the satisfaction of a jury though. The jury would have to be convinced that you had no reasonable alternative to going through with the marriage because of the pressure that was applied to you.

Thinking that your parents and hers are going to be cross with you and shout at you for a while until you agree and might be in a bit of a strop with you is quite different to threatening extreme violence or death or taking you to another country and removing your passport and holding you prisoner until you agree. If someone was forced to marry a pregnant girlfriend through those means this law would absolutely apply to them to and why not?

Not according to yesterday’s news.

I couldn't believe it when I saw various articles about it over the last week, I had wrongly assumed forced marriages were already illegal, looks like I was wrong though along with a few others (but I doubt they'll be along to admit they were wrong ;)).

Archived