Homelessness up 14% this year

Chemist, you know I don't do cryptic posts.

There is somewhat of a Northern buy to let bubble occuring currently, dripping and about to burst. Malinvestment of the worst kind! Homeless/housed to private rented to sofa to homeless.

I'm sure it makes sense, but can't make it out. It is late mind.

Some people move into a house and the landlord goes bust > homeless.

:huh: I said there was a lot available at the mo, why would they be homeless? (there are some other legal issues about what happens here, but it's too boring, and I can't be arsed to go into it)

Peoples' tenure is being traded in the markets to those using leverage, often foolishly. This is causing massive social problems. Unstable housing is bad for employment, bad for mental and physical health, bad for society as a whole.

Of what I can make out here, it looks like a vast exaggeration.

Of what I can make out here, it looks like a vast exaggeration.

I've seen my own friends children suffering these problems. Many of the towerblocks and flat complexes have very poor ventilation. They do not have laundry facilities separate from dwellings.

Separate laundry facilities in these types of buildings could vastly improve health of many people.

But it's also issues of 'space'. Do you want to be stuck in a room where you can't outstretch your arms upwards because 1 layer of bricks were removed for profit. Or do you want to be in a room with high ceilings?

Storage space? etc. etc.

There are vast amounts of scholarly articles on housing and health.

http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/environment-and-health/Housing-and-health

Housing conditions affect people’s health. Inadequate housing causes or contributes to many preventable diseases and injuries, including respiratory, nervous system and cardiovascular diseases and cancer.

Poor design or construction of homes is the cause of most home accidents. In some European countries, they kill more people than do road accidents.

Use of proper building materials and construction could prevent indoor pollutants or mould, causing asthma, allergies or respiratory diseases.

About every tenth lung cancer case results from radon in the home. Appropriate design can prevent both exposure and the risk to health.

Towards safe and adequate housing, WHO/Europe seeks to assess and quantify the effect on health of housing conditions and how housing risks contribute to environmental and health inequalities.

With international experts, WHO/Europe evaluates the health gains from implementation of local plans for housing rehabilitation, and sets health priorities related to various technical aspects of housing. Priority issues include thermal comfort and energy, indoor environmental conditions, home safety, and residential housing environments.

DLA 10 years down the line after hospitalisation or mental breakdown ain't compensation for being boxed up like factory farmed chickens or forced to move from place to place without anything consistent in your life.

Hell, livestock is often treat (on paper at least) better than citizens in this country.

And non citizens, their plight is far far worse...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106126/Bridge-Men-Heston-Squalid-camp-homeless-migrants-live-M4-flyover.html

I've seen my own friends children suffering these problems. Many of the towerblocks and flat complexes have very poor ventilation. They do not have laundry facilities separate from dwellings.

<snip>

Hell, livestock is often treat (on paper at least) better than citizens in this country.

And non citizens, their plight is far far worse...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106126/Bridge-Men-Heston-Squalid-camp-homeless-migrants-live-M4-flyover.html

Well the thread title was about homelessness rather than housing conditions. There are a few branches off the homelessness tree, one of which someone suggested was rent prices, and that was the branch I took, and questioned.

Well the thread title was about homelessness rather than housing conditions. There are a few branches off the homelessness tree, one of which someone suggested was rent prices, and that was the branch I took, and questioned.

We could say;

Are you homeless?

Are you housed?

We could say;

Are you homeless?

Are you poorly housed?

Are you adequately housed?

Bare in mind, in the first case, that homelessness is UP.

Consider in the second, that it is also UP.

And that people are poorly housed, and even more so nowadays!

For what is homelessness if it is not to be very very poorly housed?

No my fellow countrymen are not being made homeless.

The ones in genuine need get shelter, interim accommodation and other help and support through our taxes. For those not earning enough you get more of our taxpayers monies to subsidise housing beneifts. There is so many benefits and housing support in this country that other countries could only dream of. What more do you want?

Do you want to take a trip to indonesia, parts of africa, eastern europe and take a look what real homelessness is.

Those who work have to pay. You pay rent or mortgage. You pay this through your earnings to what you can afford at the time. If you want something bigger and better you work for it. That's life.

Nobody in this country is forced to live on the streets. You really need to stop believing everything you read. Those idiots who choose to become homeless by spending their money elsewhere, not prioritising their expenditure, living beyond their means and getting into stupid debts, not taking precautions and insurance when taking out credit, not prepared to lower their standards can please themselves.

I aint gonna lose any sleep over it.

An excellent post. At the end of the day, becoming homeless is always a choice.

Besides which, the Guardian propaganda piece doesn't even make sense, look at this quote.

"The data shows 69,460 children or expected children are in homeless households, with three-quarters of the households accepted containing children."

How can you have a homeless household? If you're in a house you're not homeless!

The word homeless means living on the streets, but if you ever go out round Sheffield at night, all the beggars that are around during the day have bunked off home, presunably to their council flats and hostels. So if there aren't any people sleeping on the streets, is homelessness really a problem at all?

Besides which, the Guardian propaganda piece doesn't even make sense, look at this quote.

"The data shows 69,460 children or expected children are in homeless households, with three-quarters of the households accepted containing children."

How can you have a homeless household? If you're in a house you're not homeless!

The word homeless means living on the streets, but if you ever go out round Sheffield at night, all the beggars that are around during the day have bunked off home, presunably to their council flats and hostels. So if there aren't any people sleeping on the streets, is homelessness really a problem at all?

Can you explain in what way homelessness is a choice? Who in their right mind would make it? I'm sure children wouldn't chose it.

To my mind being homeless is not having a permanent home in which to live, therefore living in temporary accommodation such as a B&B or hostel is a form of homelessness, especially for children. It is very difficult to maintain the structures of a normal family life in such circumstances, and this can lead to street living. At one time B&B's were a temporary measure before being rehomed. Now it seems to becoming a permanent 'solution.'

Your remarks about 'Homeless households' are pure semantics as you well know. Maybe 'Homeless families' would be easier to understand, but groups of people living together are not necessarily related, hence 'homeless households.'

We could say;

Are you homeless?

Are you housed?

We could say;

Are you homeless?

Are you poorly housed?

Are you adequately housed?

Bare in mind, in the first case, that homelessness is UP.

Consider in the second, that it is also UP.

And that people are poorly housed, and even more so nowadays!

For what is homelessness if it is not to be very very poorly housed?

Most amusing.Who are you thinking about ?Try bear.:hihi:

Can you explain in what way homelessness is a choice? Who in their right mind would make it? I'm sure children wouldn't chose it.

Ecconoob has already answered that question. He said

The ones in genuine need get shelter, interim accommodation and other help and support through our taxes. For those not earning enough you get more of our taxpayers monies to subsidise housing benefits.

Those who work have to pay. You pay rent or mortgage. You pay this through your earnings to what you can afford at the time. If you want something bigger and better you work for it. That's life.

Nobody in this country is forced to live on the streets. You really need to stop believing everything you read. Those idiots who choose to become homeless by spending their money elsewhere, not prioritising their expenditure, living beyond their means and getting into stupid debts, not taking precautions and insurance when taking out credit, not prepared to lower their standards can please themselves.

So if people would rather blow their disposable income on plasma TVs, mobile phones and Sky subscriptions rather than pay their mortgage or rent, effectively they've made a choice and if that choice ultimately leads to them being kicked out of their house, it's their own fault.

You are making an assumption about homelessness. The term 'household' is referring to the 'family'. They may be split between friends and relatives, they may be in a B&B or in temporary accommodation.

This is from the Shelter Website: You don't have to be living on the street to be homeless. You may be legally classed as homeless if you are sleeping on a friend's sofa, staying in a hostel, suffering from overcrowding, or other bad conditions.

Only a small proportion of 'homeless' people are actually on the streets, and those that do sleep rough usually have complex issues that won't be solved by merely giving them a flat.

There are others who are statutorily homeless, where the local authorities have a duty of care. The elderly, children still in education, people with disabilities and serious health conditions may all be categorised as vulnerable and given priority for housing. Then there are those, also classed as statutorily homeless, who aren't given any priority for housing, but who are expected to sort themselves out.

Whether or not someone is employed, is immaterial when assessing homelessness.

Many rough sleepers nowadays are not UK nationals, but people who have come here from Europe and further afield, hoping for a better life. With no job, and no access to benefits, they are entitled to nothing. On the other hand, people who have always lived here, who hold British Passports are entitled to help. However, that help doesn't necessarily mean getting a council house.

For anyone who may be worried about losing their home, or who just wants to know the facts about homelessness rather than the myths, I'd recommend having a look at the Shelter website. http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness