Homelessness up 14% this year

This doesn't make much sense in economic terms. If most people can't afford property, then there will be no demand to purchase it and prices will fall.

It's basic supply and demand, prices can't go higher than a large proportion can afford to pay, because without buyers the houses aren't worth anything.

But that's the point. It's buy-to-let landlords that are always willing to buy and snap up cheap property, thus keeping the market artificially buoyant.

Do you actually believe things like that? Or just type them (or copy&paste) because you can?

Greater minds than erebus (no offence erebus) are thinking along the same lines, so not that outlandish really.

Please note that David Boyle of the New Economics Foundation that I quoted, heads up a TORY thinktank so hardly likely to want to overstate the case.

But that's the point. It's buy-to-let landlords that are always willing to buy and snap up cheap property, thus keeping the market artificially buoyant.

There's nothing artificial about it, but they won't be buying up property unless the rent makes them a decent return, which it won't if nobody can afford it (which they won't be able to, if the purchase price is so high).

There's nothing artificial about it, but they won't be buying up property unless the rent makes them a decent return, which it won't if nobody can afford it (which they won't be able to, if the purchase price is so high).

The rent is subsidised by the tax payer so landlords can continue to charge what they like and they will be paid (up to the cap which really only affects London and particularly large houses.) That sounds artificial to me.

If they remove the subsidy then you might have a point, but if they do, ordinary people are going to suffer terribly, so I don't know what the answer is.

The rent is subsidised by the tax payer so landlords can continue to charge what they like and they will be paid (up to the cap which really only affects London and particularly large houses.) That sounds artificial to me.

If they remove the subsidy then you might have a point, but if they do, ordinary people are going to suffer terribly, so I don't know what the answer is.

The answer is quite simple, consumer banks need to be forced to invest a percentage of their portfolio in British new properties, either through a new building society where the banks hold ownership of the properties or by enabling people to build their own homes.

At the same tome councils need to actively encourage redevelopment of run down areas, something they are not good at, one might add.

A must watch heart breaking documentary here about how easily and quickly lots of us can be made homeless. The whole system and BTL landlords are an absolute disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0483md8/panorama-britains-homeless-families

A must watch heart breaking documentary here about how easily and quickly lots of us can be made homeless. The whole system and BTL landlords are an absolute disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0483md8/panorama-britains-homeless-families

Panorama uses emotional music. For me that indicates bias.

I think this used to be a serious programme, but I might as well be watching X-Factor.

What they seem to do is what lefties on here hate, by righties. Pick a few cases and judge the entire society on these cases.

-

As Anna pointed out earlier the cap only really applies to London, or large properties. It perhaps should be extended further thereby reducing the amount that btl can reasonably get if the market pushes people into renting.

However, things like bedroom tax (which was in place already in private rents) aren't popular with the left, and don't favour these rich btl owners (with large properties).

It's all about balances. I don't vote for this reason, because there can't be a balance with Labour or Tory in power.

The answer is quite simple, consumer banks need to be forced to invest a percentage of their portfolio in British new properties, either through a new building society where the banks hold ownership of the properties or by enabling people to build their own homes.

At the same tome councils need to actively encourage redevelopment of run down areas, something they are not good at, one might add.

I also don't know why we don't build houses using the prefabricated models that are available on the continent. They can be built complete with all the services and have someone living in them within a fortnight.

Within a very short time it could make a big dent in the housing shortage