In 600 years time will Islam have matured like a fine Christianity?

In 600 years Islam will have reached critical mass and exploded.

It did that in 632 AD just after the religion was invented to counter the spread of Christianity and the hoardes set out to conquer the world.

No, they're still living in 1432 or whatever it is. Let's face it, a religion devised by an illiterate madman holed up in a cave, to halt the spread of Christianity and whose follwers then set out to conquer the known world, deserves to be countered accordingly.
I'm going to pour myself a strong gin & tonic then have a lie down.

I just agreed with one of Mecky's posts and feel rather peculiar as a result.

Invented?

Im sure you mean discovered.

Copied, technically. From other religions. Mix in the odd bit of 'prophecy' that complied to Mohammed's wishes that day. ;)

"Allah says, a wife must make me a cup of tea at 11.30."

"Really?"

"Indeed ... do not dispute Allah's wishes."

Copied, technically. From other religions. Mix in the odd bit of 'prophecy' that complied to Mohammed's wishes that day. ;)

"Allah says, a wife must make me a cup of tea at 11.30."

"Really?"

"Indeed ... do not dispute Allah's wishes."

I resurrected this thread with a link to an interesting book.

It seems that I, and many others, have been brainwashed into thinking that the story of Islam, and it's "prophet", is known. A historical fact. The truth is far more shady and yet a typically believable mish-mash of human events. Unfortunately at the moment there's altogether too much fear-induced self-censorship to examine this.

I was always told that Mohammed's existence was known for certain, but it turns out that there are no contemporary reference to him except for some vague reference in the Doctrina Jabobi, dated in the 630s, which refers to the invasion of Palestine and implies that the "prophet who has arisen in Arabia" was still alive and actively leading it. There's some discussion of it here.

Holland argues that the compilers of the official biographies, or stories, of Mohammed may have killed him off early so as to reinforce the parallel between the prophet of Islam and Moses, who died before reaching the promised land. Whatever the truth, I now realise that Mohammed remains as unhistorical as Jesus.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Holland's book is the fact that Mecca plays almost no part in the early story of Islam. The original holy city of Islam was Jerusalem; and whilst the traditional story has Mohammed himself making the switch, following a row with the Jews of Medina, Mecca only began to achieve prominence a hundred years later during the reign of Caliph Abd al-Malik. Given the centrality of Mecca to Muslim religious practice this is, to say the least, somewhat surprising to discover. I always thought that Mecca was more Las Vegas than place of worship.

Anyway, let's hope that the story of Islam can be opened up to more historical criticism just as Christianity has, and that in a 100 years time, never mind 600, the certainties on which fundamentalism clings can be eroded away.

For those interested in Holland's book, and the early story of Islam, there's an interesting article here:

http://www.thenewjournalist.co.uk/2012/04/12/tom-hollands-book-is-neither-original-nor-should-it-be-considered-controversial/

Archived