Computer games and kids..

My husband is sat repairing a xbox for his aunt, and has just put a game in to check it works.

The game came on and the graphics are realistic, there are people cutting others throats and shooting each other.:rant:

I expressed I thought the content of the game was too graphic.

And asked who's game it was , my husband replies with "our sons".:surprised

I am not remotely happy about it as he is only ten, and i think the content is to much.

His dad says I am over reacting it is just a game.

Was wondering what other parent's views are on games, and what would you do if you was me??

Would you take the game away??, as I want to but like i said the husband reckons I am over reacting.

My husband said my son got it off a friend of his, now other parents may find this game exceptable.

I personally think it is wrong, I don't want a full scale battle with the husband and my son over it.

(from one very shocked mum)

If it's a violent game, then it's aimed at, and certified for, adults, not ten year olds. I'd give the child something age-appropriate and keep the violent one for its intended audience.

ETA: *waits for the most recent GordonBennett clone to pontificate about adult gamers*

My husband is sat repairing a xbox for his aunt, and has just put a game in to check it works.

The game came on and the graphics are realistic, there are people cutting others throats and shooting each other.:rant:

I expressed I thought the content of the game was too graphic.

And asked who's game it was , my husband replies with "our sons".:surprised

I am not remotely happy about it as he is only ten, and i think the content is to much.

His dad says I am over reacting it is just a game.

Was wondering what other parent's views are on games, and what would you do if you was me??

Would you take the game away??, as I want to but like i said the husband reckons I am over reacting.

My husband said my son got it off a friend of his, now other parents may find this game exceptable.

I personally think it is wrong, I don't want a full scale battle with the husband and my son over it.

(from one very shocked mum)

Look at the box. They all have a PEGI rating and/or BBFC rating. I suspect given your description that the game is deemed unsuitable for a 10 year old

I don't think you're over-reacting to be fair, these ratings are there for a reason

Yeah, like he's gonna play Pokemon when all his mates are online playing MW3. :hihi:

Yup, some parents do indeed permit their children to have access to age-inappropriate material, don't monitor their online activities, and generally don't give much of a crap. Others subscribe to the 'ban this sick filth' line when the Mail tells them that perfectly reasonably-classified 18 certificate material has fallen into the hands of some precious little snowflakes. Thank God for the sensible majority who're capable of making rational, informed decisions.

It might be but as most kids have consoles and internet access in their bedrooms, how can a parent constantly monitor what they're up to?

Considering most console games are priced way over what an average 10 year old can afford and legally buy, I'd say it was pretty easy to monitor.

Archived