Computer games and kids..

It might be but as most kids have consoles and internet access in their bedrooms, how can a parent constantly monitor what they're up to?

By popping in and having a look at hat they're up to once in a while? Or move the pc /console etc out of the bedroom and into another room in view..? Or not buy them the games in the first place..

Yeah, like he's gonna play Pokemon when all his mates are online playing MW3. :hihi:

Strangely, my own son seems quite happy playing the Lego series of games, racing games, little big planet, etc.

One of his friends is allowed to play Grand Theft Auto - well he was until his mother saw me playing it and commented on the 'shocking' nature of it (so had not paid any attention to the game rating and content, but just used it to shut her kid up). Even so, her son has commented that he prefers my sons game collection as they are, "more fun!"

Kids will be happy playing any games, without anyone having the need to try to make them play older rated stuff.

Bad parenting if you're not aware that you 10 year old is playing adult, 18 rated games.

No its just a game and even a 10 year old can distinguish the difference between a game and reality, bad parenting is one of the causes of violence in children not a computer game.

Don't worry about it, it's just a game. I watched 18 rated films with my dad when I was about his age- Terminator 2, Predator, Aliens all the old classics like that. It did not harm whatsoever. Just have a chat about how it isn't real and he shouldn't act that way in life etc etc.

It might be but as most kids have consoles and internet access in their bedrooms, how can a parent constantly monitor what they're up to?

Password protect the account and ensure family settings are applied. All consoles now allow you to limit what age rated content can be played.

It's simply down to a parent not being interested in what their child does.

No its just a game and even a 10 year old can distinguish the difference between a game and reality, bad parenting is one of the causes of violence in children not a computer game.

Bad parenting being the bit where the OP doesn't have a clue what the child is up to.

You're not over-reacting. In the same way films have certificates to 'protect' children, or at least give parents an informed choice, so do games.

yes she is, games can actually help prevent violence by acting out theri fantasies on a screen instead of reality, and by giving them something else to take your frustration and stresses out on, rather than doing it on the people who really psis them off.

Yup, some parents do indeed permit their children to have access to age-inappropriate material, don't monitor their online activities, and generally don't give much of a crap. Others subscribe to the 'ban this sick filth' line when the Mail tells them that perfectly reasonably-classified 18 certificate material has fallen into the hands of some precious little snowflakes. Thank God for the sensible majority who're capable of making rational, informed decisions.

Exactly. I let my son play games such as Sengoku Basara (rated 15 due to violence and language....the violence is cartoony hack n slash, and the language is one use of mild language which occurs maybe once every 29 hours of gameplay). I played the game myself, and sit playing with him at times. Fun game... But I vetted it before letting him play.

Sadly too many parents don't want to check a game, or just want to have their kids play anything they play (it makes them feel like cool parents). I have a ton of games that I will not let my kids play for a while yet.

Archived