Computer games and kids..

It might be but as most kids have consoles and internet access in their bedrooms, how can a parent constantly monitor what they're up to?

My husband knew but he didn't tell me, as they both knew what my reaction would of been about it.

So it was a case of my son and husband hiding things from me. :|

Since i got my son the xbox live I hardly see him, I think I may have to set certain times when he goes on from now on.

I said the same thing yesterday, my son, has ps2, xbox ,wii and laptop and he is always on one of them.

I said I am going to start restricting the kids to an houur in afternoon/evening.

Password protect the account and ensure family settings are applied. All consoles now allow you to limit what age rated content can be played.

It's simply down to a parent not being interested in what their child does.

This is a great idea and I have just gone through his games and removed just that 1 game . I spoke with my son about it now as I picked him up early today for his appointment. And I told him I did not feel the game was appropriate, and that I am going to take the game away. Although I have said I will take him out and replace it with a new one which is much more for his age.

Thanks for the advice all, and I am glad my son can see why I don't like it. I don't even allow them to have toy guns, so my husband should of known I would not of been happy about this game.

Everybody is happy now anyway, What happened to the great days of mario, alex the kid and paper boy !!

10 year olds should not be playing COD, they are FAR too young for it IMO... The fact it's "cool" cos all their pals are playing it is irrelevant, they are too young at 10, FACT!

I gather but this one he lent off a mate and the mate said he could keep it. It has no cover on the case and I didn't know he had it but my husband did, x
The BBFC rating is usually stickered/printed on the actual disc as well. Unless the disc is a knock-off, of course.

By the sounds of it all, your husband needs the telling-off, not your son.

you can't protect your kids from all the stuff in the world - but you can teach them what is right and wrong and the reasons behind why they should or shouldn't do things - ultimately we need to teach our kids how to decide for themselves, and want to choose the right things - if we only decide for our kids the first time they are alone without their parents they will most likely do whatever their parents didn't want them to do, just because they want to try it, but if they understand the reasons for things they are more likely to make good decisions on their own

Violent computer games are just one safe outlet for the negative energy that boils up inside us all (although I personally prefer heavy metal). It's also a place where children can explore their curiosity in what has become a very open, interactive and dynamic environment.

Think of it this way - the more realistic they are, and therefore the more curiosity can be fulfilled within the game environment, the less curiosity will be directed towards the same actions in the real world.

Some of you will remember the first Grand Theft Auto. The graphics were crude and cartoonish, but the concept of earning money through a life of crime was undeniably exhilarating. There was surely more risk of children playing that and trying to emulate it in the real world because their curiosity was not fully satisfied by the limited environment and interaction of primitive game coding.

Archived