I've found a Blackberry Mobile, what should I do?

Last week I was walking through my local park when I found a Blackberry Mobile phone lying face down in the grass. I instinctively picked it up with the intention of handing it in somewhere but as I was off on a day out I didn’t get round to doing anything with it.

When I got home I switched the phone on and tried to ring one of the people in the contacts list, but got an error code saying that the phone was unable to connect or something. This happened with every number on the list I tried.

I don’t know much about smartphones but did manage to use the Facebook feature on it to find the name of the person the phone belonged to. I then sent him a message on Facebook telling him I’d found his phone and gave him my own phone number so he could arrange to come and pick it up.

That was a week ago and he never replied. And when I switched the phone on yesterday I got an “MM6” error code, which according to google means the phone’s been reported as stolen.

Obviously the right thing to do now would be to hand it in either to the police or at a 3 Mobile shop (as the phone has the 3 logo on it) but what worries me is that if I hand it in, the police or the phone company might accuse me of stealing it! You can imagine how weak it would sound if I just said I found it in the park even if it is true!

Should I hand it in, just dump it back in the park where I found it or just bin it? I wish I’d never picked the bloody thing up now!

Hand it in to the police, if you can find a station that is open! I had a similar problem when I found one, was going to meet the owner to give it back but just received loads of abusive messages about how they were gunna do me in for stealing it and they could track me down! Ended up finding some coppers attending a minor RTA so gave it to them. I hope they did not have the misfortune of seeing the videos of some slapper pleasuring herself that I watched. I still have flashbacks!

Id hand it into the police.

I'd also try to see if theres any family members names in the list (Mum/Dads mobile, etc) and send a text from your phone describing youve found a blackberry that may belong to their child and you've handed in to a police station in Sheffield.

Hand it in to the Coppers, all you did was pick it up, you didn't nick it and you have taken steps to find the owner which will go in your favour.

Why does the person that found it have it to "go in their favour" ? What are you insinuating Rich ? :huh:

Just hand it in to the police. There is a notice in the Mosborough high st shops saying that a blackberry was lost last week.

If you don't hand it in to the police, it's theft by finding

The abusive messages may be as a result of the thing having been stolen in a mugging, and they're assuming you're the same person who originally took it

Just hand it in to the police. Your being able to give a location to where it was found may be of use to any investigation

If you're not happy with handing it in personally, POST it to mossway or west bar

Archived