Would it be a better life in Ireland?

My daughter and son are now living in ireland,my daughters been there 6 years and my son went for a holiday and never came back cause he liked it so much.I live in rotherham myself but come from sheffield originally,im tempted to quit my house and move over just to be near my family,only trouble is my husband is not keen on moving there because he says he wouldnt be able to find work.My 21 yr old daughter is still at home but she will be moving out soon to go and live with her boyfriend.So im in a bit of a dilemma..maybe i should just take the bull with the horns and just go for it..:)

I am going for 2 weeks in september to catch up on old friends I met whilst over there. I may not come back as one of my friends says there is a vacant property that I can take over for the farmer for next to nothing. I have until September to make my mind up. I think I now which way it will go. Do it while you can, not everyone can withstand the Atlantic weather...

My daughter and son are now living in ireland,my daughters been there 6 years and my son went for a holiday and never came back cause he liked it so much.I live in rotherham myself but come from sheffield originally,im tempted to quit my house and move over just to be near my family,only trouble is my husband is not keen on moving there because he says he wouldnt be able to find work.My 21 yr old daughter is still at home but she will be moving out soon to go and live with her boyfriend.So im in a bit of a dilemma..maybe i should just take the bull with the horns and just go for it..:)

It depends on where you want to move to? Is it Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

You need to research the market and see what employment there is for you. Also check cost of housing. You could get a steal, since the housing market plummeted in RoI. We lived there and were looking at housing, and because it was soooooo expensive came back to Sheffield. A 2 bed terrace in suburban Dublin (D14) was going for almost €400k/£300K in 2006 and now worth about €180K...

Again, if looking at RoI, theres no NHS there. Everything is out of pocket, so you will have to look into a private health care plan, so that can be additional cost for your day to day living. That being said, even though I had to pay €20 for a GP visit, the quality of care I received was excellent. I miss my Irish GP. Though, I didnt like having to pay €75 each for an ultrasound and mouth swab I needed. I cant remember what I paid for prescriptions, but it varied by what I needed.

That being said, we lovedloveloved living there and miss it greatly. We had a high quality of life and lived really well. If we could, we would move back, but we've finally got our home to where we actually love it and it would hurt to leave it behind..

Its republic of ireland if i went to live there it would be private rented property i would be looking at,my daughter rents a 4 bed bungalow for 500 euro a month shes lived in it 6 yrs now.There was a house next door that became vacant and we was going to have it,then hubby said last minute he didnt want to move out there i was really gutted..that was 2 years ago and im still anchoring after moving there.My son has a lovely 2 bed flat for 400 euro a month, hes loving life out there and says he would never move back over here.

Yeah we were paying €1000 a month for our 2 bed terrace, but we were right on the LUAS (tram) line. Its probably safe to assume, the rental cost has dropped.

If the cost of rent/housing isnt the issue, then just figure in the costs for your day to day health care needs and the cost of belonging to a private health care provider will add to your monthly budget. Thats the only stress I'd put on the move.

Yeah we were paying €1000 a month for our 2 bed terrace, but we were right on the LUAS (tram) line. Its probably safe to assume, the rental cost has dropped.

If the cost of rent/housing isnt the issue, then just figure in the costs for your day to day health care needs and the cost of belonging to a private health care provider will add to your monthly budget. Thats the only stress I'd put on the move.

Yes you are right, health costs are high.My daughter tells me everything expensive,but on a up note theres no water rates to pay.There is oil to pay though if you have central heating.My son has storage heating his bills are a bit pricey but at least its only 1 big bill as he all electric. But after saying all that my daughter would never move back to uk..the schools are brilliant out there much better than here,ireland has a lot going for it i must say..i could get used to the rain..

We lived in Rawmarsh 1999-2004.

Moved to Dublin (@ alternageek: D16, intra-M50) in 2004.

Came back in 2008.

Wouldn't go back for love or money.

Enjoyed very many aspects of Irish life (many 'doubly' associated with living in a European capital city, to be fair) and made some lifelong friends (as you do pretty much everywhere you go, if you are a normal, reasonably sociable person).

Got to despise many other aspects of Irish life. The sort which you only find out about when you actually live there awhile, rather than jet over for a stag night or a 2 weeks holiday ;)

In the end, the minuses (and a looming recession) won out.

Oddly enough, many of the said lifelong friends, who count both Irish (Rep and Northern) and expats (Dutch, French), did the same (bugged out) at around the same time, and say exactly the same 4 years on.

Each to their own and all that ;)

Again, if looking at RoI, theres no NHS there. Everything is out of pocket, so you will have to look into a private health care plan, so that can be additional cost for your day to day living. That being said, even though I had to pay €20 for a GP visit, the quality of care I received was excellent. I miss my Irish GP. Though, I didnt like having to pay €75 each for an ultrasound and mouth swab I needed. I cant remember what I paid for prescriptions, but it varied by what I needed.

That's not strictly true, there is Irish national health care and you don't necessarily have to have a private health plan, but it tends to be more for serious things like cancer or heart problems rather than day to day stuff.

Archived