Glam rock and politics

The first successful artist to actually wear a dress in performance to make the statement you are alluding to was Boy George..Glam Rock was dead by then

Glam rock introduced a whole generation of men and boys to the notion that men could wear make up, dress outrageously, and adopt a more feminine style.

Things had already shifted a great deal by the time Boy George turned up.

I think we've got a general misapprehension of what the word politics means going on here.

It doesn't (just) means bands singing about racism or inequality or whatever.

As I said on the other thread, the personal is political. A singer's personal style, (in fact, anyone's personal style) can make a political point without needing a slogan.

I think we've got a general misapprehension of what the word politics means going on here.

It doesn't (just) means bands singing about racism or inequality or whatever.

As I said on the other thread, the personal is political. A singer's personal style, (in fact, anyone's personal style) can make a political point without needing a slogan.

depends if they mean it like that tho?

i wear mostly black / grey clothes, doesnt really mean anything political or not, just my "style" but to the band Crass, it was a political statement

depends if they mean it like that tho?

i wear mostly black / grey clothes, doesnt really mean anything political or not, just my "style" but to the band Crass, it was a political statement

No it doesn't. Intention is not necessarily important.

Archived