What are the two really bright stars tonight

Yup, binoculars are the best start point for a beginner, all the more so if you invest in a decent tripod and a mount adaptor.

Whatever you do please don't rush out and buy a cheap telescope, they are virtually useless.

You could also take yourself along to the one of the SAS meets at David Lane Mayfield valley where you'd have the opportunity to look through a few different scopes, aswell as take on board some great advice from experienced amateur astronomers.

You could also take yourself along to the one of the SAS meets at David Lane Mayfield valley where you'd have the opportunity to look through a few different scopes, aswell as take on board some great advice from experienced amateur astronomers.

Seconded. They do an awful lot of great work and, if you've got the bug then this is your first stop.

Ooh thanks, Ill have a look... where is best to buy the equipment from?x

That depends.

You can pick up a cheap and cheerful scope from Jessops etc, or online, but please do your research first or you'll end up with a worthless piece of crap like so many others have.

Myself and many others can offer all the advice you need, if you ask.

I was heading back from the shops earlier and they did look unusually bright tonight in respect to the stars quite brilliantly so.

I was wondering if there was a power outage somewhere getting rid of some of the light pollution.

Quite spectacular nights lately.

Well I don't have loadsa cash but I'd rather not waste what I do have... I am a total beginner, I know nothing about cameras and binos at all... x

With telescopes you really do only get what you pay for and the beginner scopes are useless and a total waste of cash, buy cheap buy twice as they say.

First requirement is a decent equatorial mount, one that you can ad a drive to is recommended too, plus the mount must be fluid (smooth to operate) or you'll constantly lose the object your viewing.

If you're not already convinced i'll lend you a 4 inch reflector with a cheap mount for a couple of weeks, it'll do a job but you'll find it quite frustrating to use, i'd hate to see you as just another who went down the cheap route and regretted it as you inevitably will. :)

Archived