What are the two really bright stars tonight

Got a good look at Saturn and her rings shining brightly around 1am this morning.

Absolutely. Amazing. I wish I had my binoculars as the rings are clearly visible at the moment.

Is there anyone reading this near Woodseats with a good pair of binoculars that would like to go to Grave's Park and have a look at the stars?

It was the first time I have ever seen Saturn in the flesh. Jupiter is the only other planet I've seen through a telescope.

No matter how many high resolution images you see of these things, actually seeing vast orbs hanging in the sky is gobsmacking, even though they are quite small in the viewfinder.

A friend of mine has a small reflector with a simple mount, hand he's shown me seen Andromeda (a trillion vast fiery globes hanging in intergalactic space, wow) Jupiter and her moons, Saturn, the Moon (we should be on it right now, what's the hold-up?) and a visibly binary star whose name I forget.

It was the first time I have ever seen Saturn in the flesh. Jupiter is the only other planet I've seen through a telescope.

No matter how many high resolution images you see of these things, actually seeing vast orbs hanging in the sky is gobsmacking, even though they are quite small in the viewfinder.

A friend of mine has a small reflector with a simple mount, hand he's shown me seen Andromeda (a trillion vast fiery globes hanging in intergalactic space, wow) Jupiter and her moons, Saturn, the Moon (we should be on it right now, what's the hold-up?) and a visibly binary star whose name I forget.

I saw the ISS last year through a really fantastic pair of binoculars. It was amazing to see it with what was really some incredible clarity.

Edit: I'm not talking seeing windows and things; I really just meant it was a vaguely discernible object, rather than a rapidly moving star.

Well I don't have loadsa cash but I'd rather not waste what I do have... I am a total beginner, I know nothing about cameras and binos at all... x

I got a pair of these at first.. fantastic things and great for spotting birds too - i'm not that into it but i get a lot of red kites over my house which are wonderful to observe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-SkyMaster-Binoculars-15x70/dp/B00008Y0VN

really? damn.. is it about tonight?

Unless something really catastrophic happens, it should still be there tonight as well. Whether you will be able to see it depends largely on the weather. By 1am last night it wasn't far from the moon, but far enough to point a telescope at it with everything getting washed out.

Jupiter and Venus are visible now if you want to take a look. :)

It's funny how gorgeous they are!

We're going camping on April 21st so we can see the Lyrid meteor shower and I can give the campers a tour of the heavens. Will be fantastic...

Unless the skies are overcast.

Which they traditionally are.

Have a look east in an hour or two and we'll see if people can't see Saturn and maybe catch a glimpse of the rings (through binoculars).

Archived